Skip to main content

Can’t afford to pay your Council Tax bill


Do not ignore our letters. Contact us as soon as possible if you are struggling to pay your Council Tax or are behind with your payments.

If you contact us now we can discuss what you owe and how this can be paid in a way that helps you. If you do not pay your bill the situation will only get worse.

To speak to our debt management team call 0300 3030164 and select option 2.

Money off your bill

You should also check if you are eligible for money off your Council Tax bill. This could happen if you:

  • are the only bill paying adult in your home
  • are on a low income or get benefits
  • a household member has a disability or sever mental impairment
  • you are an apprentice, student or young person in training

Find out more on the Money off your Council Tax bill page.

Worried about debt

Dealing with the problems debt creates can be very difficult, but there are organisations who can give you help and advice.

If you are worried about any of the following then you should ask for help:

  • your debts are mounting up
  • you think your home is at risk
  • you are worried about legal action being taken against you
  • your creditors will not accept the payments you are offering
  • you do not feel confident in sorting out your finances
  • you have any questions about your finances

Where to get help

These organisations can offer you help and advice with money problems:

If you are having difficulties paying your Council Tax then contact us to give us a chance to help.

Pay your Council Tax

Change or update your details

Get money off your bill

Council tax banding and charges

About Council Tax

Contact details

Council Tax, Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 5

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays

Local Taxation and Benefits text service

SMS text messaging service

SMS text messaging service

The Local Taxation and Benefits Service (includes Council Tax, Benefits, Business Rates and Debt Recovery teams) are now using SMS text messages to provide you with information about our service.

If we already have your mobile number in our system you will be signed up for the service automatically. If we don’t have your mobile number or your number has changed recently and you would like to receive SMS texts please send an email to [email protected].

Opting out

If you would like to opt-out of receiving SMS text messages please email [email protected] to confirm that you do not wish to receive information from us by SMS text message. You will need to give your account number, name and address so we can update your details accordingly.

Who sends the message

The SMS text messages are sent by North East Lincolnshire Council and will show as ‘NEL Council’. The sending of messages is a confidential service, your mobile number will not be shared with third parties and we will not send you any other marketing messages to your phone.

These are only used in some cases and you should not rely on us sending you a text message to update you about your account.