Skip to main content

Enforcement agents (‘Bailiffs’) and their fees


An enforcement agent (‘bailiff’) may visit your home if you do not pay your debts such as Council Tax, business rates and fines. We only use a bailiff when reminders and other warnings have been ignored and no plan to pay debt has been agreed.

Conduct of enforcement agents and your rights

The minimum standards are explained in the Bailiffs and enforcement agents national standards .

For guidance on dealing with bailiffs, what bailiffs can do, and how they should treat you go to Citizens Advice – Bailiffs .

To find out what powers bailiffs have when they visit your home and to check your rights go to GOV.UK – Your rights bailiffs .

Making a complaint

You can complain about enforcement agents (‘bailiffs’) if they treat you badly or do not follow the rules. Making a complaint does not cancel your debt.

For information on when you should make a complaint go to Citizens Advice – Complain about bailiffs .

If you are not happy then you first need to contact the enforcement agency that is dealing with your case. If this does not help your situation or you are still not happy then you must make a complaint to us in writing through our normal Complaints procedure.


How much you pay depends on your situation. Check what fees bailiffs can charge on Citizens Advice .

Enforcement agents we use

The three enforcement agents we use are:

Details of our arrangement with Rossendales can be read in our Service level agreement (PDF, 6MB) .

Related content

Pay your Council Tax

Change or update your details

Get money off your bill

Council tax banding and charges

About Council Tax

Related documents

Debt Management Strategy (PDF, 381KB)

Contact details

Council Tax, Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 5

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays