Skip to main content

About Council Tax


Council Tax is a charge on households by local authorities, based on the estimated value of a property and the number of people living in it. Most domestic buildings are subject to Council Tax.

There is one charge per dwelling, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.

Read more about Council Tax banding and charges.

Who has to pay

You will usually have to pay Council Tax if you are 18 or over and own or rent a home.

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least 2 adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Find out about Council Tax discounts and exemptions.

About your bill

Council Tax payment is calculated for the 1 April of each year, to cover the next 12 months. You will receive your bill for the year by the end of March. Unless you have told us otherwise, the same payment method will be used for the new year bill.

For an explanation of the different parts of your bill look at Your Council Tax bill explained (PDF, 420KB) .

If you need us to explain any part of your bill you can call us on 0300 3030164 option 5.

Council Tax legislation

The administration of council tax follows the legislation set out in the local government finance act 1992 (99/03) and the council tax (amendment and enforcement) regulations 1992.

For more information about this legislation and other legislation relating to council tax you can visit .

Freeman of the Land/No Contract (PDF, 15KB)

Council Tax Privacy Notice

We collect and process your personal data for the purpose of administering Local Taxation and Benefit, and will process your personal data in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation and other relevant legislation.

We will not disclose your personal data to anyone else, unless allowed or required to do so under the General Data Protection Regulation or other relevant legislation.

For full details about the processing of your personal data read our the Local Taxation and Benefits notice on the Privacy Notice page.

Related content

Pay your Council Tax

Change or update your details

Get money off your bill

Can’t afford to pay your bill

Council Tax banding and charges

Contact details

Council Tax, Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 5

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays