Skip to main content

Money off your Council Tax bill


There are a number of reasons that you may be able to get money off your bill or claim a full exemption for a property.

Council Tax discounts

Examples of when you can apply for money off your Council Tax bill:

  • there is only one adult living in your home
  • you have a low household income
  • a household member has a disability or severe mental impairment
  • you are an apprentice, student or young person in training

There are also some other situations where you can apply for a discount. For full details of discounts available and to apply go to Council Tax discount.

Council Tax exemption

There are some situations where a property can claim an exemption, meaning no Council Tax will need to be paid for a certain amount of time. Each class of exemption has different requirements.

For full details of the different types of property exemption and to apply go to Council Tax exemptions.

Please tell us as soon as possible if your situation changes as it will may affect your Council Tax bill.

Related content

Pay your Council Tax

Change or update your details

Can’t afford to pay your bill

Council Tax banding and charges

About Council Tax

Contact details

Council Tax, Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU


Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 5

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays