Skip to main content

Council Tax banding and charges

Current Council Tax charges

Council Tax charges for 2023/24 can be found on Council Tax charges by band and area for 2023/24 (PDF, 124KB) .

If you need to check which ward you live in and what band your property is enter your postcode in to the Find my nearest page.

Empty properties

We normally charge Council Tax for empty properties. The aim is to bring empty properties back into use.

If your property has been empty and unfurnished for two years or more, you’ll be charged a premium on the amount of Council Tax you would normally pay.

This premium will vary depending on how long the property has been empty. The additional charge will not be payable if the empty property is being marketed for sale or rent at a level which could reasonably be achieved. Proof will be required.

How properties are banded

The Valuation Office Agency decide the band that your property is in.

To find out about how this is done go to GOV.UK – How domestic properties are assessed for Council Tax bands.

Challenge your Council Tax band

You might be able to challenge your Council Tax band if you have evidence that suggests the band is wrong.

To make an appeal go to GOV.UK – Challenge your Council Tax band.

If you submit an appeal against your bill or banding, you must continue to pay your Council Tax. If you do not pay you will be issued with a reminder and risk a summons and liability order.

Precept charges

A precept is a charge separate from your Council Tax that is added to and shown on your bill. Precept charges in this area are for things such as:

  • Local police service
  • Local fire and rescue service
  • Local Parish Councils
  • Adult social care

For information on the Police and Crime Commissioner for Humberside’s precepts, visit the website.

To find out about Humberside Fire Authority visit the Humberside Fire website.

If you want to know about a Parish Council precept then please contact your local Parish Council.

For 2023/24 we have increased council tax by 2% in relation to the Adult Social Care Precept.

This option was provided by the secretary of state to help adult social care authorities like North East Lincolnshire Council. The government statement on the adult social care precept can be read on

Details of the amounts of funding from precepts is included in How your Council Tax is spent.

Related content

Pay your Council Tax

Change or update your details

Get money off your bill

Can’t afford to pay your bill

About Council Tax

Contact details

Council Tax, Local Taxation and Benefits, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU


Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 5

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays