North East Lincolnshire Council

Complaints, compliments and suggestions

We want to provide good quality services for everyone, but things can sometimes go wrong. If they do, we need to know so we can put them right and learn from them. If you are unhappy with any of our services, you can fill in the online feedback form.

Please see our Feedback Policy (PDF) for more information.

If you would like to make a suggestion about how we can improve, please let us know by using the online suggestions form.

If you have had a pleasant experience please tell us about it. We like to hear when people compliment us on the quality of our service and of the special attention given by our employees. Compliments help us understand what we are doing well and what our customers really value and help us evidence examples of good practice and improve other areas of the council.

To submit a compliment please complete our online compliment form. Compliments are passed to the relevant Head of Service who will pass the feedback to the service manager or employee and thank them for providing excellent service to the customer.

If you have a complaint about any adult social care services, please contact the Clinical Commissioning Group who will be happy to advise on the procedure.

For information on the complaints process go to our Children’s social care complaints page or contact the Information, governance and complaints team using the contact details at the bottom of this page.

The Multi Agency Complaints Protocol is applied when feedback requires a co-ordinated handling across all organisations such as North East Lincolnshire Council, Clinical Commissioning Group and Northern Lincolnshire and Goole NHS foundation trust. This protocol is intended to ensure that any feedback about a jointly provided service, or that involves services provided by more than one organisation, is dealt with seamlessly, promptly and clearly through a co-ordinated process, and as stated in the Local Authority Social Service and NHS Complaints (England) Regulations 2009.

If you wish to complain about any aspect of how we have processed your personal information or applied the Data Protection Act you should contact the Informatics and Research team.

If your child has a problem at school you should be able to sort it out through an informal discussion with your child’s teacher. If you can’t resolve the problem informally, the school will have a formal complaints procedure that you can follow.

If your complaint is about the head teacher, then you should contact the chair of the governing body of the school to consider your concern/complaint. If the complaint is about the conduct of a governor, this should be referred to the chair of the governing body in the first instance. The chair will investigate your concerns. If the complaint is about the chair of the governing body, this will be investigated by the vice chair. Complaints about the governing body as a whole should be referred to the Department for Education.

The corporate complaints procedure does not provide compensation if you have suffered damage or loss. If it is your intention to make a claim then you should submit this to the insurance section, as following the complaints process may delay matters.

If you are unhappy with the handling of your Freedom of Information request you can contact our Strategy, Change and Information team to discuss it further or request an internal review.

If you have exhausted all stages of the Corporate and Statutory Complaints processes and feel that your complaint has still not been satisfactorily resolved, you can take your issue to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Complaints, compliments and suggestions, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU


Telephone: 01472 326427

Opening times (telephone): Monday to Thursday 8.30 am to 5 pm and Friday 8.30 am to 4.30 pm, except bank holidays