Skip to main content

Data Protection and privacy


Personal data

North East Lincolnshire Council keeps and uses personal data about you in order to provide you with the services you require and meet our legal obligations.

The General Data Protection Regulation and other legislation such as the Privacy and Electronic Communication Regulations sets out the principles and standards we should follow when collecting, handling and using personal data, They also set out the rights you have in relation to the personal data we hold about you. We are committed to handling your personal data in line with the requirements and principles of the General Data Protection Regulation, and have put in place policies (see the documents section) and measures to respect your privacy and keep your personal data protected and secure.

For more details about how we process and use your personal data, please see our overall Privacy notice and our Information sharing page.

Further information about privacy and data protection and your rights can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website, particularly the your data matters  section.

Your rights

  • Access – You can ask us to tell you if we hold personal data about you (a Subject Access Request) and to provide you a copy of that personal data and details about how we use it.
  • Rectification – You can ask for inaccurate data to be corrected, incomplete data to be completed or a supplementary statement to be attached to your information.
  • Erasure – You can ask us to delete any data we hold about you, if legislation and our retention schedules no longer require us to hold it.
  • Restriction – You can ask us to temporarily stop processing your personal data in certain circumstances. For further details see Article 18.
  • Data Portability – You can ask us for copies of the data in an electronic format we hold about you in certain circumstances. For further details see Article 20.
  • Objection – You can ask us to stop processing your personal data in certain circumstances. For further details see Article 21 and the national data opt-out service.
  • Automated decisions / profiling – You have the right not to be subjected to a decision based solely on automated processing, including profiling, which has legal effects for you or significantly affects you.
  • Complain – You can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you are unhappy with how we have processed your personal data.

Exercising your rights, complaints or queries

We strive to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal data. For this reason, we take any complaints we receive about this very seriously. We encourage people to bring it to our attention if they think that our collection or use of information is unfair, misleading or inappropriate. We would also welcome any suggestions for improving our procedures.

If you wish to exercise any of your rights or you have a question, suggestion or complaint about how your personal data has been used, please contact us. You can find our contact details below.

If after making a complaint you are dissatisfied, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office for an independent review.

ICO Contact us page

email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0303 123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (national rate)

Accessing personal data

You can ask to see what information the Council holds about you by making a subject access request using the Subject Access Request Form (Word, 83KB) . This includes people who have been involved with our social care services who wish to understand more about their past.

To support your application you will need to provide two forms of evidence confirming your identity (i.e. photo driving licence or passport) and your address (i.e. utility bill or bank / building society letter). These can be scanned or photographed and included in your email.

Request for Records for Children and Young People – The Information Commissioner’s Office states that parents can make subject access requests on behalf of their children who are too young to make their own request. A young person aged 12 or above is generally considered mature enough to understand what a subject access request is, however, each case will be individually considered.

Children and young people who are able to make their own informed decisions have a legal right to access their own records, and can allow or prevent access by others, including their parents. Any parental access to a child’s records must also be in the child’s best interests

We may disclose personal data to third parties on request, for crime and taxation purposes, or in connection with legal proceedings.

We are not obliged to comply with such requests, but will consider each application in line with the requirements of Data Protection legislation.

To request the disclosure of personal information under one of these exemptions, you will need to submit a Third Party Disclosure Form (Word, 61KB) .

Make sure to sign, and address your form to Data Protection. You can send your form via email to [email protected] or post to the Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU.