Skip to main content

Housing Benefit overpayments


You must tell us straight away if:

If you know a change in your circumstances is going to take place, tell us in advance, or as soon as possible afterwards. This must be done in writing and could prevent or greatly reduce any potential overpayment.

If you are a landlord you must tell us of any change that is reasonable for you to know, for example if a claimant moves away.

Always check the notification letters we send you. If you notice a mistake with your benefit calculation or any other mistake, contact us immediately. If you report a change you should receive new notification letters, contact us if you do not hear anything.

When you have been overpaid

If your housing benefit is overpaid we will write to you and tell you, giving full details of the overpayment. This letter will tell you:

  • what caused the overpayment
  • the period the overpayment relates to
  • the amount of the overpayment

If we are going to ask you to pay back the money, we will write to you again to tell you how this will be done.

Appeal an overpayment

If you do not agree with the overpayment you have the right to appeal against it. You must do this within one calendar month of the date on the original notification letter.

If you require further information on the calculation or assessment of the overpayment you must contact us.

Related content

Housing Benefit

Report changes that affect your Housing Benefit

Contact details

Benefits , Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0300 3030164 option 3

Telephone opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays