Skip to main content

Tell us about a change in circumstances

It may affect your business rates, including any relief or exemptions you receive if you have a change in circumstance.

Notification of changes must be given to the council within four weeks of the day after the day on which the change happened. If this happens, there will be no interruption to the ratepayer’s entitlement to the relief.

You must notify us immediately if any of the following changes occur:

  • You have changed the name of your business
  • You have expanded your business or had an alteration to your premises
  • You have moved your business
  • You have closed your business

Additionally, Small Business Rate Relief may be affected if:

  • The ratepayer taking up occupation of a property, they did not occupy at the time of making their application for relief.
  • There has been an increase in the rateable value of a property occupied by the ratepayer in an area other than the area of the local authority which granted the relief.
  • A notification that the ratepayer has taken up occupation of an additional property submitted as a new application for relief.

To let us know about a property vacation or occupation, complete the online form:

Alternatively, information can be sent via email to [email protected] or you can call the business rates team on 0300 3030164 and choose option 4.

SMS text messaging service

The Local Taxation and Benefits Service (includes Council Tax, Benefits, Business Rates and Debt Recovery teams) are now using SMS text messages to provide you with information about our service.

If we already have your mobile number in our system you will be signed up for the service automatically. If we don’t have your mobile number or your number has changed recently and you would like to receive SMS texts please send an email to [email protected].

Opting out

If you would like to opt-out of receiving SMS text messages for Business Rates please email [email protected] to confirm that you do not wish to receive information from us by SMS text message. You will need to give your account number, name and address so we can update your details accordingly.

Who sends the message?

The SMS text messages are sent by North East Lincolnshire Council and will show as ‘NEL Council’. The sending of messages is a confidential service, your mobile number will not be shared with third parties and we will not send you any other marketing messages to your phone.

These are only used in some cases and you should not rely on us sending you a text message to update you about your account.

Related content

Rates relief