Skip to main content

Educational psychology support for young people

An educational psychologist is someone who visits schools to work with teachers, parents or carers and students.

We are trained to find out how learning, development and behaviour can be made better. We are here to help you get the most out of school or college and to cope with any difficulties that might stop you learning.

What can we help you with?

We can help you when you are:

  • finding schoolwork hard
  • worrying too much about things
  • feeling unhappy about things
  • feeling angry or upset about things
  • getting into trouble in school
  • not getting along with friends or being bullied
  • becoming more independent or getting ready for life after school
  • wanting your views to be heard by adults

What we will do

When we are asked to help we first check with your parent or carer that it is okay. We will then do different things to help make things better. For example, we may:

  • talk to you to hear what you think (maybe once or more often)
  • talk with people who know you well
  • spend some time in your classroom to see what sort of work you do
  • get to know you by doing some activities or assessments together
  • make a plan together about how to make things better

After a while we will meet again to see if the plan is helping.

Meeting us

We know that sometimes it is hard to talk about what you are thinking or feeling. We will help you feel as comfortable as possible and will listen carefully to what you say.

If you find it difficult to talk to people, we will try to find other ways to help you let us know your thoughts and feelings.  You do not have to meet with us if you don’t want to.

We will keep a record of the work we are doing together and we will agree what information can be shared with others such as your parents or carers or teachers.

You have a right to tell us if there is something you do not wish to be shared. The only time we are not able to keep something confidential is if it is something very serious that adults need to know about to keep you or someone else safe.

How to get in contact

Your school will probably know all about us. Your school special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) or head of year will be able to arrange to involve the psychologist if they think this is the best way to help you.

If you are over 18, want to remain in education or training and you think you may need additional support for this through an Education, Health and Care Plan you can request an assessment yourself.

If you want this help go to the Barnardos  website for more information.

Contact details

Educational Psychology Service, Civic Offices, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 8LN

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01472 323183

Opening times: Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays