North East Lincolnshire Council is reminding households that their waste and recycling collection dates change during the Christmas and New Year holiday.
Visit www.nelincs.gov.uk/bins to check your collection date and look out for the Christmas collections leaflet arriving in your letterbox this week.
Some households will have their bins or boxes emptied on a different day than they usually do.
More than one date might be listed during the Christmas and New Year holiday on the online calendar.
The Council aims to take your waste or recycling on the first day listed, but if not they will be back on one of the following days.
Please put your bin or box out before 7am on the first date listed.
Cllr Stewart Swinburn, portfolio holder for environment and transport, said:
“Waste and recycling collection dates change during the Christmas holiday.
“Please remind your neighbours, it’s easy to forget.
“The easiest way to check your dates is to visit www.nelincs.gov.uk/bins.
“On average, about 5,000 people check the online calendar every day. It’s the most popular page on our website.
“We’re also sending a leaflet to households in the borough to let people know about the changes.
“The leaflet also includes an illustrated guide to your bins, as well as information about the Community Recycling Centres and our bulky waste service.”
Cllr Swinburn added:
“Christmas is the busiest time of year for our crews, they deal with much more waste and recycling than they usually do.
“Please be patient. Our staff will do everything they can to cope with the extra demand, but problems such as bad weather could cause some disruption.”
No bin or box collections on the Christmas and New Year bank holidays
|Usual Collection Day||Collections planned to be completed by|
|Monday 26 December||Friday 23 or Wednesday 28 December|
|Tuesday 27 December||Wednesday 28 or Thursday 29 December|
|Wednesday 28 December||Thursday 29 or Friday 30 December|
|Thursday 29 December||Thursday 29 or Friday 30 December|
|Friday 30 December||Friday 30 December or Tuesday 3 January|
|Monday 2 January||Tuesday 3 January|
|Tuesday 3 January||Tuesday 3 or Wednesday 4 January|
|Wednesday 4 January||Wednesday 4 or Thursday 5 January|
|Thursday 5 January||Thursday 5 or Friday 6 January|
|Friday 6 January||Friday 6 or Monday 9 January|
If the crews don’t get to you on the dates listed, please take in your bins or boxes and put them out before 7am the next collection day.
The council will post messages about major service disruption on its website (www.nelincs.gov.uk) and share information with local media and on its social media accounts.
How you can help
- Plan ahead. Think about how you are going to dispose of your waste this Christmas
- Check your Christmas and New Year collection calendar. You can check your dates online at www.nelincs.gov.uk/bins
- Please put the correct bins out before 7am on your collection day
- Take your bin back to your property after the bin crew has been
- Flatten cardboard boxes and remove all other packaging before putting them in your blue bin
- Take any extra rubbish to the Community Recycling Centres (CRC or the tip) in Grimsby or Immingham – please don’t dump rubbish next to litter bins or at other locations
- We will collect all waste and recycling that has been presented correctly in the bins with the lids closed
- We won’t empty recycling bins if you put the wrong items in them and we won’t take extra rubbish left with your bins
- All household rubbish that can’t be recycled needs to go in your green wheelie bin with the lid closed.
Bulky waste and garden waste
If you have any bulky waste items you need to get rid of, book online at www.nelincs.gov.uk/bulkywaste or call (01472) 326288, option 4. It’s £22 for up to four items (excluding white goods) and £5.50 for any extra items. White goods are collected for £11 each. There are no collections between Monday 19 December 2022 and Friday 6 January 2023.
Don’t forget there are no garden waste collections between Monday 12 December and Friday 3 February 2023.
Community Recycling Centres
Community Recycling Centres (the tips) are open every day (except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day) from 8am to 6pm and 8am to 4pm on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve. Grimsby tip can be busy at peak times. Try visiting Immingham instead if there are long queues in Grimsby.
- Grimsby Community Recycling Centre, Estuary Way, Pyewipe Industrial Estate, Grimsby DN31 2UD
- Immingham Community Recycling Centre, Queens Road, Immingham DN40 1QR