Ditch the car and get on your bike this Cycle September.
Cycle September is a month-long competition organised by Love to Ride, supported locally by North East Lincolnshire Council and its regeneration partner, ENGIE, with the aim to get more people cycling.
Cycle September aims to get people back on their bikes, logging their rides, encouraging their friends, family and colleagues to join in and win prizes for their effort. Love to Ride are hoping for the biggest year yet and are encouraging residents and businesses to sign up.
Cycling is a great way to get healthy and stay in shape, as well as being a fast and environmentally friendly way to get around.
It’s a good way to make sure you are getting enough daily exercise and has significant benefits which can make you happier, healthier and even wealthier.
As more people return to work, it’s an ideal time to embrace all the benefits riding a bike can bring:
- Supercharge your physical health – even a 10-minute bike ride will start boosting your immune system and raise your heart rate. Make it part of your routine for maximum benefits, like living longer.
- Improve your mental health – riding a bike can make you feel happier and more connected to your surroundings and less prone to depression than other forms of transportation.
- Reduce stress and anxiety – any form of physical activity is good for reducing stress. Biking can help take your mind off problems and give you a chance to think about things calmly.
- Make an impact on your environment – reduce your carbon footprint by keeping the car at home. Every bike ride is potentially one less car journey.
Councillor Stewart Swinburn, portfolio holder for environment and transport at North East Lincolnshire Council, said: “I’m pleased we’ve once again teamed up with Love to Ride and I’d encourage everyone to get in the saddle and get involved in Cycle September. You could even be in with the chance of winning top prizes for yourself and workplace.
“It’s a greener and healthier way to get to work and an opportunity to get fit, have fun and enjoy the great outdoors.”
He added: “We’re working with our partner, ENGIE, to develop the sustainable travel infrastructure across the area with the aim to improve the cycling and walking options and experience for our residents. If it has been a while, then now is the perfect chance to experience some of the changes and help support our ambitions of becoming a cleaner and greener borough.”
You don’t need to own a bike to take part, as the Cycle Hub at Grimsby and Cleethorpes train stations, offer affordable rental on a wide range of bikes. To find out more about Cycle Hub Lincs and the local Cycle Hubs, visit www.cyclehublincs.org.uk.
Taking part in Cycle September is easy. You only have to ride for ten minutes to start earning points and help your business climb the leader boards in the process.
So, how does it work?
- Register for free at www.lovetoride.net/nelincs
- Sign up or connect to your business to earn points for yourself and business to climb both leader boards.
- Start logging your bike rides to earn riding points.
- To score big, earn encourager points. Encourage your friends and family (not just co-workers) to register and log a ride. If they add you as their encourager, you’ll score 50 or 100 points. More points mean more chances to climb the leader boards and win prizes.
Register for Cycle September and reduce your stress, increase your energy levels and feel happier, visit www.lovetoride.net/nelincs