What is my flood risk?
Check your flood risk
The types of flooding which present a risk to North East Lincolnshire are:
- Flooding from watercourses (fluvial) –this occurs when water comes out of the channel either through a breach or overtopping. You can see if you are at risk by viewing these maps on the Environment Agency website.
- Surface water flooding (pluvial) – this occurs when, usually intense, rain falls onto the ground, flows over or collects on the surface and does not enter a watercourse or drainage system. You can see if you are at risk by viewing these maps on the Environment Agency website.
- Groundwater flooding – caused by water levels in rocks and soil rising until it appears above the ground surface. See the active springs (PDF) in the borough.
- Sewer flooding – from the public sewer system. Can be caused by too much water entering the system or by a blockage.
- Coastal flooding and erosion – high tides and storm surges can overtop or breach defences causing flooding inland. Erosion occurs when the action of the waves removes material causing the permanent loss of land.
- Reservoir flooding – failure of a reservoir dam that could release large volumes of water very quickly, and with little warning. You can see if you are at risk by viewing these maps on the Environment Agency website.
If you have any questions about the risk of flooding to your property please contact us on 01472 324351.
Flood warnings and river levels
If you find you are at risk of flooding from rivers or the sea you can register to receive free flood warnings from the Environment Agency’s Floodline Warnings Direct Service or by calling their Floodline number on 0345 988 1188
Live warnings are displayed on the following map or you can view river and sea levels by visiting the GaugeMap website. Simply enter the location you want the information for and it will be displayed on the map.
Drainage and Costal Defence, New Oxford House, 2 George Street, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HB
Telephone: 01472 313131
Opening times: By appointment only