Charitable collections and lotteries
House to house collection permit
Any person who wants to do a house to house collection for a charity must have:
- a permit from the council
- a certificate of exemption granted by the Chief Officer of Police
- an order of exemption from the Secretary of State
Every collector must have:
- a certificate of authority
- a badge giving the purpose of the collection which must be visible
- a collecting box or a receipt box marked with a clear indication of the purpose of the collection
There are a few conditions of using this type of licence including:
- The total value of ticket sales must not exceed £20,000
- At least 20% of the proceeds must go to charitable purposes
- Players must be over 16
- Tickets must show the name of the society, the purpose of the lottery, the price of the ticket, the name and address of the promoter and the date of the draw
A street collection can only be carried out for a charity or benefit fund, and you must have written authorisation from a promoter at the chosen charity/benefit fund to carry out a collection.
The permit will only be valid for the date and time specified in the initial application. Any application for a street collection must be made one month prior to the collection.
The promoter must be over the age of 16 to carry out a street collection or 14 years of age accompanied by an adult. No animals other than assistance dogs should be brought into North East Lincolnshire during the period of the street collection. When carrying out a collection you must remain stationary and you must be 25 meters or more apart from a fellow collector.
Every collector must carry a collecting box. All of the collection boxes must be numbered consecutively and be securely closed and sealed and it must have the charity name clearly marked on it.
When the collection has been completed all of the collection boxes should remain sealed and delivered to the promoter, a nominated accountant or bank to be opened.
The collector of each box must certify the contents when opened and counted.
Licensing, Doughty road depot, Doughty road, North East Lincolnshire, DN32 0LL
Telephone: 01472 326299 option 2
Opening times: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm, except bank holidays