Skip to main content

New dates set for Primary School plans

12:08 pm, Wednesday, 9th August 2023 - 7 months ago

General

PLANS for two new primary schools in Waltham and Scartho have been delayed to give planning officials more time to consider feedback from residents and organisations.

The applications for two new schools, were expected to go to a meeting of the Council’s Planning Committee in September, with an expected opening date of next year.

Councillor Margaret Cracknell, portfolio holder for children and education at North East Lincolnshire Council, said that the delay wasn’t unusual:

“This does occasionally happen with planning applications of this scale and nature. As well as residents, we quite rightly have to seek professional advice from experts and organisations specialising in highway engineering, utilities, archaeology and more. Now that we’ve gathered much of that information, officers are seeking to bring the plans to a committee meeting in October.

“What this will mean for the project is that, provided that planning permission is granted, the start date for construction will be slightly later than previously planned, with opening dates set for September 2025.

“These schools are desperately needed for the area, so it’s important that officers take their time to work through all of the responses, consider submissions, and prepare papers in the proper manner.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who attended our engagement events and submitted feedback through the planning process.”

The two schools, which are proposed for construction on land off Matthew Telford Park in Scartho and on the land known as ‘Sunningdale’ in Waltham, will offer much-needed school places for children aged four to 11.

As previously reported, after a tender process the Lincolnshire Gateway Academies Trust has been selected to run the two new schools. Today the organisation’s Chief Executive Officer Martin Brown and its Chair of the Board of Trustees Philip Bond reaffirmed their commitment to the projects.

In a joint statement Mr Brown and Mr Bond said: “Of course, the Trust is keen to move forward as soon as possible with these two exciting projects – we are here to secure the very best futures for our young people and these new facilities will contribute significantly towards that vision. However, we completely understand the need to ensure all the necessary procedures are adhered to when it comes to consultation and planning – we remain committed to moving forward in the correct way and will work with our partners to do so.”

Next Article
WSP appointed to lead the design for Pier Gardens regeneration
Pier Gardens, is a 14,000 square metre garden area in the heart of Cleethorpes, and is the subject of one of the three Levelling Up Funded projects in the town, alongside Market Place and Sea Road. In the Masterplan, developed with local people and approved by the Council in 2022, local residents and businesses wanted...

Share this article