Skip to main content

Dangerous structures and demolitions

A ‘dangerous structure’ covers buildings or parts of buildings along with many other structures including garden walls, fences or hoardings, in fact any built structure that because of its condition could endanger the public.

Report a dangerous structure

You need to report the problem directly to building control either in person, by calling 01472 325959 or emailing [email protected] between 8am and 5pm weekdays. Outside of office hours you can call 01472 313131.

Where necessary we can require the owner of the dangerous structure to make it safe or, in an emergency, take action to remove the danger under powers contained in Sections 77 and 78 of The Building Act 1984.


Under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984 any person who intends to carry out the demolition of a building must inform the local authority in writing. Legally no one can start demolition work unless the local authority has been notified in advance.  Demolition must not start until you have received a counter notice.

Please complete and return the form that can be found in related documents along with a location plan outlining the building to be demolished.


A fee of £132 (including VAT) is payable with demolition notices.

Related content

Building Control Demolition Notice (PDF, 129KB)

Contact details

Building Control Service – Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01472 326289 option 2