Skip to main content

Dropped kerbs

Dropped kerb to your driveway

A dropped kerb, or domestic car crossing, allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway without damaging the pavement or kerb. The work involves lowering the kerbstones and strengthening the pavement to create a ramp. This work can only be done by ourselves or an authorised construction company.

To apply for a dropped kerb to your property complete the dropped kerb request.

Before you complete the form you need to make sure you meet the criteria explained in our Dropped kerb guidance for domestic properties (PDF, 202KB) .

Dropped kerbs installed by the Council

We can provide a quotation and construction service if you need to drop the kerb outside your property to access your land or driveway. Permission is required from the council to construct a dropped kerb. If the property is rented, then the landlords permission will also be required.

Following a request, we will visit the property to measure. Within 14 days a written quotation will be sent by post, detailing the total cost and methods of payment. If there are any problems you will be notified accordingly. The cost of this service will depend on the area of the footpath used to create access.

We are currently experiencing high demand for vehicle crossings and timescales for all vehicle crossing installations are currently up to six months following receipt of payment.

Do you need a dropped kerb?

You need a dropped kerb if you intend to drive a vehicle over the path into your driveway.

If you do not have dropped kerbs, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent this happening. You may become liable for any damage to the surface or sub-formation of the footway or any utility services damaged as a result.

Planning consent for dropped kerbs

Planning consent may also be required. Before submitting a request for a quotation you must ascertain whether the adjacent road is:

  • a Trunk Road
  • a Principal Road
  • a Classified Roads (Class 1 or Class 2)
  • Unclassified
  • Unadopted

If the vehicle crossing is to be positioned on a Principal (A) road or Classified (B or C) road then planning permission must be obtained through the planning authority. There is a charge for this service.

For more information and guidance on applying for planning permission go to Planning and building control.

Unadopted roads or Unclassified roads may have Land Easements, Rights of Way, Land Title or Ownership issues. North East Lincolnshire Council will not be held responsible in full or in part for any land or ownership issues or contraventions before or after installation. The occupant takes full responsibility for the instruction given to install. Please consult your solicitor to clarify the above.

Dropped crossing

Dropped crossings are normally provided through a drop in the kerb on each side of the road along with relevant tactile paving. Dropped crossings can assist:

  • pedestrians
  • wheel chair users
  • pram or buggy users
  • mobility scooter users
  • visually impaired people
  • cyclists

Unlike controlled crossings such as Pelicans, Puffins and Zebras, uncontrolled crossings (dropped crossings) have no traffic signals in which vehicles have to respond to and fundamentally involve lowering of the kerb line and installation of warning paving to improve accessibility of existing/established crossing points.

To apply for a dropped kerb at a crossing complete the Dropped kerb request.