Skip to main content

Communications and press team

Contact the team

To contact the communications and marketing team if you have a media enquiry during office hours, call the relevant officer below:

  • Michelle Lalor – Head of Communications and Customer 07780 953593
  • Liz Marsden – Strategic communications lead 07834 691949
  • Royce Coates – Communications adviser 01472 325684
  • Tracey Law – Communications adviser – 07891 745165
  • Luke Green – Communications officer – 07502 765714

Please be aware that the communications and marketing office deals with media and marketing enquiries only. If you are not a member of the media, please phone 01472 313131.

For the latest news, events and job alerts from North East Lincolnshire Council follow us on social media.

For general background information and statistics about North East Lincolnshire, visit the NEL Data Observatory.

Members of the media – Our social media streams are not intended to be used by the media to contact us. If you are a member of the media, you should contact the team directly using the details above.

Filming requests

We welcome filming applications in our borough and do all we can to support television and film production.

This guidance is designed to help us work with you to consider all relevant matters in advance of filming. We have a number of, sometimes competing, responsibilities in relation to filming activities. While we recognise the benefits filming can bring, we have to balance that with the needs of our residents and the use of public resources and therefore inevitably we may not be able to accommodate all requests.

All filmmakers are required to read and agree to our Code of Practice and undertake the actions required with in it prior to filming. And, if filming on our property, will be required to provide a copy of your public liability insurance, risk assessments and health and safety assessments.

Complex filming requests are coordinated by the Communications team who can be contacted by email for initial advice if required. However you will be required to complete the online notification form on the Event Safety Advisory Group page. This is also required if you think your filming is likely to attract large crowds.

To film on the public highway please contact the communications team in the first instance.

Arranging permissions and access

You need to arrange permission and access for filming and photography in areas of Council responsibility in North East Lincolnshire.

Grimsby and Immingham ports, including filming at the Dock Tower is not the Council’s responsibility. For general port access, contact ABP. Otherwise, please contact individual organisations within the port complex. Be mindful that ports are operational, and not all requests may be granted.

Our beach: Cleethorpes beach is a SSSI and protected wildlife haven. Use of the beach for commercial or complex filming will need to be considered not only by appropriate sections of the Council and wider place partnership, but also by the ecology team. A Habitat Impact Assessment will also need to be completed before any request is considered.


There are two main types of filming we need to consider: for news and general photography, or for more complex filming, where use of our assets is required.

This is not usually subject to fees and / or a rigid protocol with the council but you should still tell us. Typically these are filming occasions which:

  • are a small production, using either a handheld camera or one camera operator• are for a very short period of time
  • do not obscure a public highway or access to anywhere
  • have no special effects and are not outside of social hours.

For basic requests, you can submit information by using the email above. A basic filming request will often receive an immediate answer.

In all cases, you are strongly advised to have public liability insurance and in some circumstances you may be asked for evidence of this.

You should not obstruct pedestrians or anyone else using the pavements or roads. If you are asked to move on by a Council officer or the police, you must do so. Also, please avoid filming at pedestrian crossings or junctions as it can either obscure views or create a distraction for drivers.

Filming in parks and on the beach

News filming will be allowed in these areas with notification. However, for more complex filming or commercial photography, please use the ESAG form.

News filming at our maintained schools (predominantly primary schools)

Contact the communications team with the details of your request. Do not contact the school directly.

Each request is decided case-by-case. While we do our best, please be aware that we have to refuse the majority of requests to film in schools for practical or other reasons.

Filming or performing in cemeteries and burial grounds

If the request is from a news outlet, contact the communications team with details of your request so we can liaise with the bereavement service.

How to request general news filming access:

Requests are dealt with case by case. To allow your request to be processed you will email [email protected] to tell us:

  • what the filming or photography or performance is for such as subject matter, for which channel or media
  • likely date and times for filming or performing
  • size of film crew
  • equipment to be used
  • vehicle access requirements.

Drone filming is not usually subject to fees, but you should still inform us of your intent to film so we can advise of other organisations or agencies that might be affected. You will need to complete an ESAG form, and we will require copies of your CAA license, Public Liability Insurance, Risk assessment and Health and Safety Assessment documents as well of details of where you wish to film before you are on site. You must comply with our guidance on using drones in North East Lincolnshire.

For more information go to our Event Safety Advisory Group page.

Filming which will take several hours, involves a number of crew and equipment and could cause disruption to a number of people, or use of the beach, requires more careful consideration before approval can be given. For more complex requests you will need to complete the online form to ensure you provide all the relevant information for this to be considered.

Please allow at least seven working days’ notice for your application to be considered.

You will need to complete an ESAG form, and a charge may be payable.

If filming is on our property, or using drone cameras, you will need to:

  • Provide a copy of your public liability insurance, risk assessments and health and safety assessments. Please note: we charge for filming on our property which involves the internal use of our buildings or long term disruption in our open spaces.
  • Notify and/or seek permission from residents and businesses located within the immediate area of intended external filming.
  • Notify and/or seek permission from other agencies or organisations affected by the filming.
  • Liaise with appropriate facilities management and health and safety staff regarding any filming activity that could have a potential risk to health and safety of third parties (for example, building occupants, visitors, neighbours).

Filming activity should take place only after North East Lincolnshire Council, the relevant agencies and landowners have granted permission. If you are using any equipment using anything which may cause alarm or distress or any kind of disturbance (eg lighting, pyrotechnics, noise etc), are filming out of hours, require parking or special requests, or are filming around the seafront, you will need to complete the online application form.

Any filming undertaken is the sole responsibility of the production company and its employees. You will need to agree to this Code of Practice prior to the first day of filming and submit the online form (ESAG form) to North East Lincolnshire Council.


1. The production company should inform North East Lincolnshire Council at the earliest opportunity, of any filming taking place within the boundaries of North East Lincolnshire. The online filming application form needs to be submitted to the council, which will require the following information:

  • Name of production company, type of production and contact details for key personnel
  • The requirements for parking production vehicles on yellow lines, meter bays or residents’ bays
  • The scale of the production – vehicles and personnel
  • The intended filming locations, both private and local authority owned.
  • The use of cranes, aircraft, cherry pickers, track low-loaders, “A” frames and other potentially hazardous equipment in public places
  • The use of special effects, eg rain or snow machines, stunt work, pyrotechnics, imitation firearms or the staging of crimes or accidents in pubic footways or carriageways
  • Productions which depict subjects of a controversial nature
  • Filming involving children or animals.
  • Filming which may attract large crowds, filming with celebrities or filming issues that may be sensitive or controversial

2. Humberside Police, Humberside Fire and Rescue, Lincolnshire Ambulance and Paramedic Service NHS, and any other organisations depicted within filming must be informed. The emergency services should also be informed, and guidance sought, when filming the following:

  • Staging crimes, accident or using firearms (police, fire and ambulance)
  • The impersonation of police officers, fire officers or ambulance staff (police, fire and ambulance)
  • The use of special effects or pyrotechnics (police and fire service)
  • The likely disruption to traffic and requests for road closures (police and highways).

3. Humberside Police and North East Lincolnshire’s highways team should be notified if the production requires roads to be closed, there is likely to be an obstruction to traffic or the removal or alteration of road signage. This is the responsibility of the production company to organise and you will need to allow sufficient time for legal requirements to be met in such a case. Production companies will be required to pay for all legal notices required in connection with filming.

4. Film-makers should ensure that location owners and adjacent property owners are kept informed of the intentions of the production company, issued with an approved locations contract and given a reasonable site rental in accordance with the budget of the film if appropriate.


5. Film makers should always pay due consideration to the sensitivities of the community in which they are filming, and members of the public should be treated with respect and courtesy at all times.

6. Dress codes imposed on particular locations for religious reasons should be adhered to at all times.

7. All residents and businesses affected by filming should be notified in advance, by letter, of filming arrangements in their area. It is the production company’s responsibility to ensure local residents, businesses and other agencies, if appropriate, affected by the filming are aware and to seek permissions from the relevant land-owner.

8. If you are filming on general public footpaths etc then you are obliged not to cause an obstruction, to get the landowners permission and to notify residents/businesses who may be adversely affected in order to address any concerns they have in advance.

9. If you think your activity could be distracting to drivers, or have an impact on drivers / traffic / result in an obstruction etc you will need to contact police.

10. Noise should be kept to a minimum, especially during unsocial hours (10pm-8am). Generators should be baffled integral with location vehicles. (The council’s Environmental Health Team must be involved if noise is anticipated or filming during unsocial hours).

10. Access to homes and businesses should be kept clear at all times.

11. If access to public footpaths is blocked then an alternative, safe route, must be provided and supervised for pedestrians.

12. Lighting and other equipment must not cause danger to the public. Cables should be flown to a height of 2.6m above the footway and 5.2m above the carriageway or covered with matting when crossing pavements. Warning cones and hazard tape should be used when appropriate.

13. No danger and annoyance to be caused by the dazzle of lights.


14. Production companies must treat public and private property with care and respect. Rubbish bins should be provided by the production and cleared regularly.

15. Care must be taken to protect furniture and flooring.

16. Objects belonging to the location must not be removed without prior agreement of the owner.

17. The location must be returned to its original condition prior to completion of filming and all evidence of filming removed (this includes the removal of sign posts erected by the company for the purposes of direction). Unless otherwise agreed with the landowner. You may be charged a fee if the Council is required to clean up any area post filming, or restore and land / property to it’s condition prior to filming.

18. The production company should make good any damage to the property and notify all parties concerned.


19. Film makers should limit their activities to the areas where they have been given permission to film.

20. There should be no trespassing on private land.

21. No smoking areas should be observed and cigarettes should be stubbed out in ashtrays and disposed of in a responsible manner.


22. Production vehicles should be parked only where agreed at pre-arranged times.

23. Engines should be switched off on arrival.

24. Cast and crew should not park in the immediate vicinity of the location unless spaces are provided.

25. Vehicles should not cause obstruction to public highways or private access.

26. There are some sensitive military areas in North East Lincolnshire where your vehicle may be removed without notice.


It is the responsibility of the production company to ensure that the company and any other persons involved in the filming (eg employees, actors, contractors) comply with health and safety legislation and that third parties are not put at risk.

27. The production company is required to supply a copy of their health and safety policy statement, safe systems of work and/or risk assessment to show how any risks to third parties will be managed. These documents should be supplied to the liaison person for the property or site being used.

28. Management of crowds and the public during the set up, filming and dismantling of any equipment is the responsibility of the production company, to ensure that third parties are not put at risk.


29. North East Lincolnshire Council will require a copy of the production company’s Public Liability Insurance Certificate to be submitted to the office prior to start of filming on any of its property. By completing the online application form you agree to all of these terms and conditions.


30. The Humber Estuary is a unique and diverse habitat. From the sandy beaches and natural sand dunes, to the saltmarsh, mudflats and lagoons, the area is home a wide variety of wildlife.

The estuary’s habitats, and the birds, insects and animals that live in it, are protected by UK law. Saltmarsh, mud flats, sand dunes and sand banks all add to the biodiversity of the Humber region.

Since 1988, when the estuary’s importance was recognised, the area has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), which is protected under European law. This includes Special Protect Area (SPA) status, as well being a Special Area for Conservation (SAC) and European Marine Site.

It is also recognised by the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands as a wetland of international importance. 

To film in, around or over these areas requires special permission. Please complete the ESAG form with your request.

In considering the impact of filming activity upon the community, the council has to take into account the nature and extent of the interruption, the effect upon the community / use of public land and disruption. It may mean that the filming activities are restricted to particular days and/or times so that the effect on the community is minimised.

We liaise with a range of departments as appropriate. These may include:

  • Parks Department – Responsible for all filming on council owned land or within council owned property.
  • Beach safety – responsible for all aspects of beach safety in Cleethorpes
  • Parking – Responsible for controlled parking zones and council-owned car parks within the borough
  • Environmental Health – Our Environmental Health Team will consider your request if you are filming for prolonged periods, outside of social hours or using loud stunts/equipment.
  • Grimsby Fishing Heritage Centre and Ross Tiger – the team will consider your request, and there will be a charge for complex filming here if this required access out of hours, or restricting public access.

Refusing approval

A decision to refuse filming permission can be made by the Head of Communications. Refusals might be made due to the following reasons:

  • The resources needed to facilitate the filming request outweigh the costs generated for the council
  • The subject matter of the filming is deemed controversial or likely to cause offence
  • The organisation commissioning the filming is controversial.

The Head of Communications will inform the relevant department lead of the issues who can have the final decision to grant or deny filming requests.

Other agency approvals

It is the production company’s responsibility to seek the approval of other agencies. The most common approvals associated with filming requests are from:

  • Humberside Police will need to be advised in the event of any calls from members of the community. This is particularly important if filming will have an impact on traffic / roads. Telephone: 101
  • Emergency Services should be contacted as early as possible in respect of any filming activity on public land and in particular roads, which depict the emergency services. This ensures local emergency service providers are aware of activities in the event of any calls from members of the community.
  • Local residents and businesses – As a minimum, residents and businesses affected by filming, should be notified in advance by letter. Please see our code of conduct for more information

Basic filming does not normally incur a charge. For more complex filming, we charge a day rate to film in a council-owned building, land owned by the council (e.g. a park) or where filming would restrict public access to a council site. This is approximately £400 per day plus VAT. This rate would increase if any significant additional work were required, for example access to buildings, opening/closing sites outside of normal working hours etc. This would be discussed and agreed in advance with the production company.

We also charge for some parking dispensations. The council manages parking restrictions, pay and display bays, residents’ parking bays and car parks within the borough. If there are no restrictions but the parking could cause problems, then the highways team and Humberside Police should be contacted. Charges vary depending on what is required.

We may ask you to provide images (still and moving) for our own promotional material and related publications of the filming you have undertaken in our borough.

Related content

Event Safety Advisory Group

Contact details

Communications and Marketing Team, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU

Email: [email protected]

Opening times: Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5pm and Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays