Annual canvass of Electors
Every year, we are required by law to contact all residential properties in North East Lincolnshire to check who is eligible to register to vote.
If you are aged over 16 and a British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen, or a member of a European Union country, you must be registered on the electoral register for the property where you live.
In July/August 2020, each household will either receive an email, letter and/or canvass form from us. If you are required to respond and fail to reply, then we will send you up to two reminders.
By law, we are required to visit your property to seek a response. Canvassers will be visiting all properties that we have not received a response from during September and October, albeit we would like to avoid this for as many properties as possible due to the current public health situation.
If, by the end of the annual canvass, you are required to respond and have failed to do so, you are in danger of being removed from the electoral register. This could have an adverse effect on your credit score.
How to complete the 2020 household response
Carefully read the information in your email, letter or canvass form and check:
- if you need to respond
- is all the information correct, if not, please respond online or by phone
You will need your unique two-part security code, which can be found on the email, letter and canvass form.
By response online, it is quicker to let us know about changes or no changes.
- Online – Household information response form
- Phone – 01472 324160 – during office hours, providing your two-part security code when asked by the member of staff taking the call
- Post, make sure you complete the form fully and check that you have signed the form
If you do not have any changes to report then you can also use:
- Automated response line – 0808 284 1423
- Text service – send your security codes separated by a space to 07786 209 423
What happens next
By completing and returning the form, you are informing us who should be on the electoral register at your property.
- add someone to your address, they will be sent an invitation to register form so that they can register to vote (or register to vote online)
- remove anyone from the form and we may write to the individual to check they no longer live there
The new Electoral Register will be published on 1 December 2020.
Elections, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU
Telephone: 01472 324160
Opening times: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm, except bank holidays