North East Lincolnshire Council

Armed Forces

Armed Forces Community Covenant

Servicemen and women leaving the Armed Forces often need advice on issues including health, education, housing, training and jobs. We also understand that their families and carers may need support.

Across North East Lincolnshire many organisations including the Council, NHS and Job Centre have pledged to support those who need it by being one of the first Authorities in the Country to sign our own Armed Forces Community Covenant.

Our Armed Forces and Veterans’ Charter encourages public bodies and partner organisations to support in-service and ex-service personnel from the military and the Merchant Navy, their families, veterans and carers.

Access to social and rented housing, retraining for employment, and support groups for servicemen and women suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder are just a few of the issues specific to veterans which the Charter addresses through better joined-up working between agencies.

The Armed Forces Community Covenant is a statement of mutual support between our civilian community and our local Armed Forces Community.
Read our Community covenant booklet (PDF)

Armed Forces Events

Every year, many events take place in support of our armed forces personnel and veterans. These range from Armed Forces Day in the summer to Remembrance weekend in November.

The events raise the profile and recognise the achievements of the work that our armed forces and veterans do both within our community and all over the world.

For all information about current events, visit

Armed Forces support

Use the expandable menu below to find advice and guidance on the issues affecting you.

Employment support from other organisations

The Royal British Legion provides details of getting into work after leave the Forces including training, job vacancies, interview preparation and a guide to starting your own business. Visit the Royal British Legion website.

Regular Forces Employment Association helps men and women of all ranks, leaving the Armed Forces to find and to remain in employment throughout their working lives. Visit the Regular Forces Employment Association website.

Self-employment support

Be the Boss provides funding, training and mentoring support to UK Services leavers on how to run a successful small business. Visit the Be the Boss website.

HM Revenue & Customs has a lot of support for people who are going self-employed. Visit the HM Revenue & Customs website.

Start Up Loans provides support and opportunity to apply for a government backed personal loan for business purposes. Visit the Start Up Loans website.

Business Link can offer an on-line service to support new business start-up, and help existing businesses expand and improve. Visit the Business Link website.

Jobcentre Plus has developed a new enterprise allowance to help people become self-employed. Applicants must be claiming Jobseekers Allowance for a minimum of 13 weeks and not be on the work programme. Find out more about the new enterprise allowance on the website.

Armed Forces resettlement – Career Transition Partnership

The Career Transition Partnership (CTP) is a partnering agreement between the Ministry of Defence and Right Management Ltd, who are global career development and outplacement specialists and part of the ManpowerGroup.

The CTP provides resettlement services for those leaving the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force and Marines. Regardless of time served, all members of the Armed Forces can benefit from CTP support when leaving service.

Go to the CTP website for more information:

When a family member joins the services, the whole family is affected. There are many organisations that can help, and understand the different pressures felt by family members.

The organisations below can provide guidance about what services they offer to families or direct you to organisations that specialise in advising particular family members.

The MOD Army provide a range of welfare support to families while soldiers are away. This support is provided to both Regular Army families and to those of mobilised members of the Territorial Army or the Regular Reserve

The Navy Families Federation provide details of organisations that specialise in advising family members.

The Royal Air Force Families Federation provides details of agencies available to you and your family.

The Royal Navy Community provides service personnel and their families with information and advice ranging from relationships to relocations and from education to professional welfare support.

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association provides backing, encouragement and a ready source of advice for parents of children with additional needs or disabilities, serving personnel with a disability and their partners and carers.

We recognise that long term accommodation is important for people leaving the Armed Forces. We can provide you with information and advice to help you find good quality, affordable housing that meets your individual needs. We welcome applications from ex-services personnel who wish to apply for a social tenancy in North East Lincolnshire.

Call our Home Options team on 01472 326401 for advice and assistance around the housing options available. Alternatively, drop in for housing advice at Freeman Street Resource Centre, 41-43 Kent Street, Grimsby, DN32 7DG. A member of the home options team will be available Monday to Friday, 9 am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 4 pm, except bank holidays.

You can also help yourself to housing advice via – just click on “General Housing Advice”, key in a few details about your housing needs and you will receive a personalised home options plan with links to relevant organisations that can assist you.

Additionally, we offer advice about a wide range of housing options and services which you may be interested in:

Rent a home from a housing association – housing associations provide affordable homes for people in housing need. In North East Lincolnshire we operate a choice based lettings scheme called Home Choice Lincs – go to to apply to go on the waiting list and view properties currently available.

Shoreline Housing Partnership

Shoreline are showing their commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant by ensuring that five newly built properties are made available to armed forces households each year. These could be for social rent or as part of Shoreline’s Shared Ownership scheme. The local lettings policy is available below. Visit to register your application and view the advertisements when these properties become available.

Read our Shoreline Housing Partnership Local Lettings Policy (PDF).

Other advice and guidance

Visit our Housing advice and assistance page for further information around homelessness, safer homes scheme, the home options bond scheme, and legal and mediation advice if you find yourself at risk of becoming homeless.

If you want to know about social housing in North East Lincolnshire then visit our Social rented housing page.

Housing support from other organisations

  • MOD Army – provides subsidised accommodation for its servicemen and women. The website has details of service personnel entitlement to service accommodation and removals for personal possessions on assignment to a new area.
  • Naval Families Federation – provides details of service families’ accommodation, short term accommodation and other housing options.
  • Royal Air Force Families Federation – provides details of Service Family Accommodation (SFA) and Single Living Accommodation (SLA) and civilian housing options.
  • Royal British Legion – provide short and long term care for serving and ex-Service people and their dependents in Royal British Legion Care Homes around the country.
  • Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) – offers advice and assistance to anyone eligible for their help, whether they are serving or ex-service, or a family member of someone with a service connection. SSAFA also provide housing and residential home facilities.
  • – Veterans UK – provides advice regarding help available to ex-service personnel who are homeless or are threatened with homelessness.

Links to welfare support are now available below.

Grimsby, Cleethorpes & District Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

The Army Families Federation (AFF) is independent of the Army and offers confidential advice on a range of welfare issues including money matters and family life. AFF works at a local level directly with families and local command.

The MOD Army provides details on a range of welfare issues including deployment support for families, legal assistance and a dedicated Forcesline for confidential guidance.

The Naval Families Federation lists organisations and charities that can help with a range of welfare issues, including bereavement and disability needs.

The Royal Navy Community provides information to help serving personnel facing bullying, harassment or stress.

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) provides information on social, family and financial issues to anyone that is currently serving or has ever served in the Army, Navy or RAF, and their families.

Veterans UK provides a range of services including a veterans advice helpline, a welfare service that will provide a dedicated caseworker to assist veterans and their families, links to other veterans charities offering advice and details of how to contact local veterans advisory and pensions committees who provide support to war pensioners and war widow(ers).

Being in the Forces, you may move to several locations. It is important that you arrange medical and dentistry cover as soon as possible. The following organisations provide advice about the medical and dentistry care available.

The Royal British Legion have Break Centres across the country for those who are recovering from an illness, bereavement or other life affecting events.

The MOD Army provides information on casualty care, mental healthcare and family healthcare.

The Navy Families Federation provides details about dental and medical provision for UK based service families.

The Royal Air Force Families Federation provides details of dental care, medical care, mental health and lifestyle services and facilities available to service families.

The Royal Navy Community provides details about finding a doctor and dentist when service personnel move to a new area.

Veterans Outreach Service is a new mental health service to support veterans and their families. It is open to anyone aged 18 and over who has completed one day’s service or more with the British Military, is a reservist not currently deployed or is a family member of military personnel.

Veterans UK provide information for veterans regarding mental health support and medical advice.