Skip to main content

Becoming homeless in an emergency

Homeless due to a fire or flood

If you have nowhere to stay due to an emergency such as a flood or fire, the Council can help you find emergency accommodation until you can return to your property or help you move to a different permanent home. Due to the emergency situation, the accommodation is likely to be temporary accommodation in a guesthouse or B&B, we would urge you to speak to family and friends to see if you can stay with them as temporary accommodation may not be suitable for you and your family.

Please fill in a service referral form or call 01472 326296 (option 1).

Homeless during severe weather (Severe Weather Protocol)

Homeless during severe weather (Severe Weather Protocol)If temperatures in North East Lincolnshire fall to below 0°C over 3 nights, the council aim to provide people rough sleeping with accommodation from 8pm to 8am. This will be at a variety of places across the borough.

The Council will contact partners to advise the Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) has been activated.

The Homelessness Prevention service will also assess your circumstances at Harbour Place and will help you find more permanent accommodation.

Please call the out of hours emergency contact at 01472 326296 (option 1).

Homeless due to domestic abuse

If you feel you are in immediate danger please ring 999.

The housing team will talk to you about housing options if you cannot stay or return to your home because of domestic abuse. We can also talk to you about the Safer Homes scheme, which can provide measures to make your home safer to live in whilst you are experiencing domestic abuse if you don’t want to move out.

You can find more support at:

  • NEL’s Women’s Aid offers help and support to people of all genders over the age of 16. They can offer refuge support to women and their children.
  • The National Domestic Violence helpline is a national service, offering anyone support and advice. You can also get advice on how to support a friend or family member who is going through domestic abuse.

Read Louise’s story to hear how she was supported to move to a safer home after experiencing domestic abuse.

Specialist support services

Specialist support is available for male victims of domestic abuse from:

If you are part of the LGBT+ community and going through abuse, you can receive specialist support from Galop – the LGBT+ anti-abuse charity.