Skip to main content

Moving in to your first home

We know this can be a busy time and that you will have lots of things to do. To help you with this here are some things that you need to change and let us know about so that your Council services can begin.

1. Register for council tax

Before you move in to your new home you will need to register for Council Tax.

To do this complete the report a change of address  form.

When should you do this?

You need to let us about your move as soon as possible and we will send you a new Council Tax bill. We aim to do this within 28 days. If you have not received a new bill within 28 days of telling us about your move please contact us on 0300 3030164 option 5.

2. Update the electoral register

Everyone over the age of 16 will need to register at your new address. Being on the register will allow you to:

  • Vote in UK elections or referendums
  • Proof of registration
  • Apply for credit (mortgage, loans, phone contract, catalogue account)
  • Open a bank account

Find out how to register on our electoral register and voting page.

3. Find your bin collection days

Find out what days your bins and recycling are collected by entering your new postcode in to our bin collection schedule.

New build homes

If you are moving in to a new build home then your bin schedule will not show up until the property has been added to the Local Land and Property Gazetteer.

You will need to make sure your home has been given a postcode, to do this you can remind your builder to register the property. If this has not happened you can give us a call on 01472 326288.

If your new home does not have bins you will need to order these.

Domestic waste

A new green bin costs £25. For more information please call the Waste Services hotline 01472 326288 option 2.

4. Update your benefit details

If you are claiming housing benefit or Council Tax support you need to update us as you move address.

Find out more and let us know on our change in circumstances page.

Universal Credit

If you receive Universal Credit you need to let the Department for work and pensions know about your move.

GOV.UK – Universal Credit

Pension Credit

If you receive Pension Credit you need to let the Pensions Service know about your move.

GOV.UK – Pension Credit

5. Find my nearest

You can use your new postcode to find out what is in your area on the find my nearest page.