Ever fancied having your own allotment, growing your very own fresh, home-grown produce and improving your health and wellbeing? Well, now is your chance!
North East Lincolnshire Council has plots available, and what better time to start as we approach National Allotments Week?
The council and its regeneration partner, ENGIE, are supporting the National Allotment Society’s Allotments Week, which runs from 10 to 16 August 2020.
Why take up an allotment plot?
- Improve your health and wellbeing
- Grow your own fruit and vegetables
- Support the environment and reduce food miles
- Meet new people and make new friends
- Save money on your grocery shopping
- Support local wildlife and connect with nature
Councillor Stewart Swinburn, portfolio holder for environment and transport, said: “Taking on your own allotment plot provides a number of benefits and is a great way for you to grow your own produce and enjoy the outdoors.
“The focus of National Allotments Week this year is Growing Food for Health and Well-being. Now more than ever, it is extremely important to look after ourselves both mentally and physically.
“The National Allotment Society is highlighting how plot holders can enjoy the outdoors, pick up new skills and keep a healthy mind.”
Andy Doran, allotments officer at ENGIE, said: “Growing your own fresh fruit and veg is a great way of eating healthy at a much cheaper cost. Having your own plot to maintain also means you are getting some outdoor exercise and have somewhere quiet to relax, all of which contributes to a healthier lifestyle.
“We want to celebrate our allotments in North East Lincolnshire, so please share your allotment plot stories and what fresh food you are growing on social media using #AllotmentsNEL.”
ENGIE manage the following allotments:
- Carr Lane Allotments, Cleethorpes – entrance off Lestrange Street and Beeley Road
- Littlecoates Allotments, Grimsby – entrance off Lister Street
- Peaksfield Allotments, Grimsby – entrance off Weelsby Avenue
- Saltings Allotments, Grimsby – entrance off Littlefield Lane
- Springfield Allotments, Scartho – entrance off Springfield Road
- Weelsby Allotments, Grimsby – entrance off Garton Grove
- Winchester Allotments, Grimsby – entrance off Laceby Road