Skip to main content

Armed forces

Armed Forces Community Covenant

The Armed Forces Covenant is a promise from the nation ensuring that those who serve or who have served, and their families, are treated fairly. This commitment is made in recognition of the sacrifices they make on behalf of the country. The Armed Forces Covenant is not designed to give the Armed Forces, Veterans and their families preferential treatment compared with other citizens but it should ensure that they get a fair deal and are not disadvantaged because of their service.

Across North East Lincolnshire many organisations including the Council, NHS and Job Centre have pledged to support those who need it by being one of the first Authorities in the Country to sign our own Armed Forces Community Covenant.

Our Armed Forces and Veterans’ Charter encourages public bodies and partner organisations to support in-service and ex-service personnel from the military and the Merchant Navy, their families, veterans and carers.

Access to social and rented housing, retraining for employment, and support groups for servicemen and women suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder are just a few of the issues specific to veterans which the Charter addresses through better joined-up working between agencies.

The Armed Forces Community Covenant is a statement of mutual support between our civilian community and our local Armed Forces Community.

For more information go to the Armed Forces Covenant  website.

Defence Employer Recognition Scheme (ERS)

North East Lincolnshire Council was awarded a Defence Employer Recognition Scheme Silver award in October 2016.

This recognises our support of the armed forces and their families.

Armed Forces Events

Every year, many events take place in support of our armed forces personnel and veterans. These range from Armed Forces Day in the summer to Remembrance weekend in November.The events raise the profile and recognise the achievements of the work that our armed forces and veterans do both within our community and all over the world.

For all information about current events, visit the Armed Forces Cleethorpes  website.

Veterans’ Gateway

There is a huge network of organisations supporting the Armed Forces community, so finding the right one for your needs can be tricky. The Veterans’ Gateway make it quick and easy by being the first point of contact for whatever support you need, whether you are based in the UK or abroad.

Their connection with additional key referral partners  and information organisations  – both within and outside the Armed Forces sector – means they can get you to the right organisation who can help.

Funded by The Armed Forces Covenant, this is the first time a group of this kind has come together formally to deliver a service to help the Armed Forces community.

Go to the Veterans’ Gateway  website.

Armed Forces support

Find advice and guidance on the issues affecting you.

Employment support from other organisations

The Royal British Legion provides details of getting into work after leaving the Forces including training, job vacancies, interview preparation and a guide to starting your own business. Visit the Royal British Legion website .

Regular Forces Employment Association helps men and women of all ranks, leaving the Armed Forces to find and to remain in employment throughout their working lives. Visit the Regular Forces Employment Association website .

Jobcentre Plus runs the national network of Jobcentres. The Grimsby Job Centre Plus branch located on Victoria Street and the Immingham Job Centre Plus Branch on Kennedy Way have staff ready to advise you on the benefits and support you are entitled to including:

  • Tax Credits
  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • ESA
  • Pension Credit

North East Lincolnshire is also home to many specialist recruitment companies. Find out more on help finding a job.

Project NOVA – this team works with men and women who have served in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces and are facing difficulties for a whole host of reasons, this includes drink and drug issues, been arrested or at risk of arrest. 

Visit Project Nova , email, call on 08009177299

Self-employment support


E-factor Ltd  is an organisation that works in partnership with NELC to provide local business support through one to one support from qualified Business Advisors, local business networks, business workshops and events, support in sourcing finance and funding, links to the local supply chain and the unique Business Hive Club . E-factor Ltd has commercial property available, all with excellent facilities and ongoing support in all aspects of starting or growing your business.

ENTERPRISE! – E-Factor Group Ltd and Grimsby and Cleethorpes Enterprise Agency have come together to launch ENTERPRISE!  aimed specifically at individuals looking at starting their own business or becoming self-employed and those who have recently done so, still in their first year of trading and want support to grow. For those contemplating striking out on their own we will be running a number of free 1 day ‘Be your own boss’ workshops that provide independent advice and cover all the basics you need to consider before going into business or becoming self-employed.

What is on offer?

  • Start-up Workshops
  • Market research and information about your area of business
  • Legal requirements for starting a business
  • Writing a business plan that works
  • Funding & Finance guidance
  • Marketing and sales advice
  • One to one support throughout planning and your first year of business
  • Business health check for existing businesses.

Visit the ENTERPRISE! website  to find out more or book your place on a free ‘Be your own boss’ workshop.

To find out more about the key sectors, businesses, commercial premises  as well as business networking and events in North East Lincolnshire visit Invest NEL

To find out more about the types of careers and lifestyle on offer in North East Lincolnshire visit Discover NEL


Be the Boss provides funding, training and mentoring support to UK Services leavers on how to run a successful small business. Visit the Be the Boss website .

HM Revenue & Customs has a lot of support for people who are going self-employed. Visit the HM Revenue & Customs website .

Start Up Loans provides support and opportunity to apply for a government backed personal loan for business purposes. Visit the Start Up Loans website .

Business Link can offer an on-line service to support new business start-up, and help existing businesses expand and improve. Visit the Business Link website .

Jobcentre Plus has developed a new enterprise allowance to help people become self-employed. Applicants must be claiming Jobseekers Allowance for a minimum of 13 weeks and not be on the work programme. Find out more about the new enterprise allowance on the GOV.UK website .

Armed Forces resettlement – Career Transition Partnership

The Career Transition Partnership (CTP) is a partnering agreement between the Ministry of Defence and Right Management Ltd, who are global career development and outplacement specialists and part of the ManpowerGroup.

The CTP provides resettlement services for those leaving the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force and Marines. Regardless of time served, all members of the Armed Forces can benefit from CTP support when leaving service.

Go to the CTP website for more information.


Volunteering is huge part of daily life here in North East Lincolnshire and we realise how beneficial it can be to both employers and individuals in various ways, most importantly how personally rewarding this can be.

If you feel that you want to contribute and make a real difference within our community then volunteering could be the way for you to do this. Not only will it benefit the people and organisations within our borough, but you too could benefit by trying something different or learning a new skill.

Opportunities will be arising across our borough over the coming months so if you wish to lend your experience and time to benefit others and our community. To find out more go to our Volunteering page.

Careers Guidance

If you would like one to one support this can be accessed through the National Careers Service, locally there are two providers, North East Lincolnshire Council and Best Training.  Help and support is available in relation to CV production and career planning.  For further information visit National careers service  or telephone 0800100900.

When a family member joins the services, the whole family is affected. There are many organisations that can help, and understand the different pressures felt by family members.

The organisations below can provide guidance about what services they offer to families or direct you to organisations that specialise in advising particular family members.

The MOD Army  provide a range of welfare support to families while soldiers are away. This support is provided to both Regular Army families and to those of mobilised members of the Territorial Army or the Regular Reserve

The Navy Families Federation  provide details of organisations that specialise in advising family members.

The Royal Air Force Families Federation  provides details of agencies available to you and your family.

The Royal Navy Community  provides service personnel and their families with information and advice ranging from relationships to relocations and from education to professional welfare support.

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association  provides backing, encouragement and a ready source of advice for parents of children with additional needs or disabilities, serving personnel with a disability and their partners and carers.

We recognise that long term accommodation is important for people leaving the Armed Forces. We can provide you with information and advice to help you find good quality, affordable housing that meets your individual needs. We welcome applications from ex-services personnel who wish to apply for a social tenancy in North East Lincolnshire.

Call our Home Options team on 01472 326401 for advice and assistance around the housing options available. Alternatively, drop in for housing advice at Freeman Street Resource Centre, 41-43 Kent Street, Grimsby, DN32 7DG. A member of the home options team will be available Monday to Friday, 9 am to 12 pm and 1 pm to 4 pm, except bank holidays.

You can also help yourself to housing advice via Home Choice Lincs  – just click on “General Housing Advice”, key in a few details about your housing needs and you will receive a personalised home options plan with links to relevant organisations that can assist you.

Additionally, we offer advice about a wide range of housing options and services which you may be interested in:

Rent a home from a housing association – housing associations provide affordable homes for people in housing need. In North East Lincolnshire we operate a choice based lettings scheme. To apply to go on the waiting list and view properties currently available visit Home Choice Lincs .

Shoreline Housing Partnership

Shoreline are showing their commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant by ensuring that five newly built properties are made available to armed forces households each year. These could be for social rent or as part of Shoreline’s Shared Ownership scheme. The local lettings policy is available below. Visit Home choice  to register your application and view the advertisements when these properties become available.

Other advice and guidance

Visit our Housing advice and assistance page for further information around homelessness, safer homes scheme, the home options bond scheme, and legal and mediation advice if you find yourself at risk of becoming homeless.

If you want to know about social housing in North East Lincolnshire then visit our Social rented housing page.

Housing support from other organisations

  • MOD Army  – provides subsidised accommodation for its servicemen and women. The website has details of service personnel entitlement to service accommodation and removals for personal possessions on assignment to a new area.
  • Naval Families Federation  – provides details of service families’ accommodation, short term accommodation and other housing options.
  • Royal Air Force Families Federation  – provides details of Service Family Accommodation (SFA) and Single Living Accommodation (SLA) and civilian housing options.
  • Royal British Legion  – provide short and long term care for serving and ex-Service people and their dependents in Royal British Legion Care Homes around the country.
  • Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) – offers advice and assistance to anyone eligible for their help, whether they are serving or ex-service, or a family member of someone with a service connection. SSAFA also provide housing and residential home facilities.
  • GOV.UK – Veterans UK  – provides advice regarding help available to ex-service personnel who are homeless or are threatened with homelessness.

Links to welfare support are now available below.

To access local support, visit our Health and Wellbeing service.

Grimsby, Cleethorpes & District Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)  provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

The Army Families Federation (AFF)  is independent of the Army and offers confidential advice on a range of welfare issues including money matters and family life. AFF works at a local level directly with families and local command.

The MOD Army  provides details on a range of welfare issues including deployment support for families, legal assistance and a dedicated Forcesline for confidential guidance.

The Naval Families Federation  lists organisations and charities that can help with a range of welfare issues, including bereavement and disability needs.

The Royal Navy Community  provides information to help serving personnel facing bullying, harassment or stress.

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA)  provides information on social, family and financial issues to anyone that is currently serving or has ever served in the Army, Navy or RAF, and their families.

Veterans UK  provides a range of services including a veterans advice helpline, a welfare service that will provide a dedicated caseworker to assist veterans and their families, links to other veterans charities offering advice and details of how to contact local veterans advisory and pensions committees who provide support to war pensioners and war widow(ers).

Council Tax: if you’ve moved back into the area and want to know about how you pay your council tax and what you need to tell us, have a look at the information on the Council Tax homepage.

Council Tax exemption: if you are serving member of our armed forces and stay in armed forces accommodation, you may be able to claim a council tax exemption – Class O

Universal Credit: do you need to claim a state benefit? Read about Universal Credit.

Other benefits: find out more about what benefits you may be entitled to, how much you might get and also let us know about any change of circumstances – Benefits Homepage

Being in the Forces, you may move to several locations. It is important that you arrange medical and dentistry cover as soon as possible. The following organisations provide advice about the medical and dentistry care available.

The Royal British Legion  have Break Centres across the country for those who are recovering from an illness, bereavement or other life affecting events.

The MOD Army  provides information on casualty care, mental healthcare and family healthcare.

The Navy Families Federation  provides details about dental and medical provision for UK based service families.

The Royal Air Force Families Federation  provides details of dental care, medical care, mental health and lifestyle services and facilities available to service families.

The Royal Navy Community  provides details about finding a doctor and dentist when service personnel move to a new area.

Veterans Outreach Service is a new mental health service to support veterans and their families. It is open to anyone aged 18 and over who has completed one day’s service or more with the British Military, is a reservist not currently deployed or is a family member of military personnel.

Veterans UK  provide information for veterans regarding mental health support and medical advice.

North East Lincolnshire does not have a forces base within its local authority geographical area. Therefore, there are not any bespoke over-subscription criteria priorities for armed forces families in the local authority’s and / or individual academy’s published school admission arrangements.

However, the local authority’s School Admissions Service offers impartial advice, support, guidance and access to a personalised service, if required, to all families including service families relocating, arriving and or returning to the local area. This includes all aspects of the school admissions and appeals processes, including information on school places and locations, types of school/academy, access to an ‘online’ application form, liaising with own admission authority schools or academies and supporting parents and carers if required at appointments. The service also offers impartial advice and guidance on formulating a school admission appeal case, if necessary, and ensures all children and young people arriving in the area gain access to a school or academy place in a timely manner.

Special Educational Needs

The SEND Code of Practice (2015) states that parents serving in HM Armed Forces with children with SEND can access the Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) – an information, advice and support service established specifically for service parents. It covers any issue relating to their children’s education, including SEN.  More information about CEAS may be found on the CEAS GOV.UK – Children’s education advisory service

In North East Lincolnshire, all parents/carers of children and young people with SEND can access:

  • Information on the local authority’s published SEND Local Offer. The Local Offer assists parent/carers and children/young people aged 0 to 25 years find information about specialist and targeted services or activities in North East Lincolnshire
  • Local impartial SEND information or advice is also available from the local authority’s Special Educational Needs Assessment and Review Team (SENART): Email:,Telephone: 01472 323166
  • Support from the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice, and Support Service (SENDIASS) which is a commissioned service run by Barnardos.  Address: 11 Dudley Street, Grimsby, DN31 2A, Email:, Telephone: 01472 355 365
  • Support and information from North East Lincolnshire Parent Participation Forum (NELPPF) at E-mail:, Telephone: 07583 474 892. NELPPF is a collective voice for parents and carers in North East Lincolnshire, offering guidance and support from 0-25 years.