Marriage and civil ceremonies
- Marriage and civil ceremonies overview
- Venues for your ceremony
COVID19 service update
Following the Government’s updates in relation to the recovery roadmap, the Register Office is now able to confirm that ceremonies with a total number of 6 people attending (including couple) can now take place. This will be reviewed again on 12th April 2021.
Until now, we have been unable to take any new bookings during these uncertain times as we deal with couples who have had their ceremonies disrupted. This is still creating an large volume of work.
If you are wanting to arrange a new ceremony please email email@example.com stating the name of both of the couple, dates you wish to marry on and venue of choice. We will aim to get back to you within 15 working days to discuss your requirements with you. If you telephone us on 01472 326295 (option 2) please ensure you do leave a correct telephone number for us to all you back on.
We thank you for your patience during this unprecedented time and please be assured that once you have logged your enquiry with us, we will get back to you within 15 working days.
Marriage Schedule System
The Civil Partnerships, Marriages and Deaths (Registration etc) Act 2019 will be implemented on 4th May 2021. This will see changes to the way your ceremony is registered as there will no longer be a paper register that you sign on the day, nor will you receive a marriage certificate on the day. Please see this attached leaflet for further information.
Organising a marriage or civil partnership
You can get married or form a civil partnership if you are:
- over 18 or ages 16 to 17 with parental consent
- not already marriage or in a civil partnership
- not closely related
A couple has a legal requirement to attend their local register office between 12 months and 28 days of their ceremony to give notice of marriage or civil partnership. Your notice will be displayed at the register office so that any person can make a legal objection to the marriage or civil partnership.
What you need to do
- Choose and book a date at the venue of your choice
- Make an appointment to give notice by calling 01472 326295 option 2
- Pay the non-refundable £35 per person booking fee to secure your date and time (maximum of 2 years in advance)
- Bring documentation to confirm both your names, address, nationality and the venue where your ceremony will take place
Photocopies will not be accepted.
- valid passport (if you were born on or after 1 January 1983 and don’t have a valid passport, you must provide your birth certificate and your mother’s birth certificate or valid EU passport)
- UK driving licence
- birth certificate with a bank statement or insurance document which shows your full name
- utility bill or other official document dated within the last 3 months and corresponds with your current address
You may also need to bring the originals of the following documents if they apply:
- decree absolute (must be in English) – you will be charged if your divorce took place outside of England and Wales
- any previous marriage certificates which show changes of names or martial status
- death certificate of late spouse
- change of name deed or statutory declaration
- consent form if under the age of 18
Change your civil partnership into a marriage
Your civil partnership can only be changed to a marriage if you registered your legal relationship in England, Wales, overseas in a consulate or armed forces base.
One stage procedure
Only the two civil partners can attend this appointment. It is must take place in a civil setting which is located in Cleethorpes Town Hall.
- Completion of a declaration
- Signing of a declaration
- Registering the marriage
- Issue of the certificate
Two stage procedure
You may prefer to following your conversion with a civil ceremony with a civil ceremony. You can complete the declaration and the signing of the declaration at a later date and in a different location.
North East Lincolnshire Register Office, Cleethorpes Town Hall, Knoll Street, Cleethorpes, North East Lincolnshire, DN35 8LN
Telephone: 01472 326295
Opening times: Monday to Friday, 9am to 4pm, except bank holidays