School admission appeal
If you have applied to a school and it does not offer your child a place, you have the right to appeal this decision. You can only appeal once for a place in the same school in the same academic year.
How to appeal
You have to complete the notice of appeal form (PDF, 149KB) and attend an appeal hearing.
Appealing your child’s admissions decision can take time, and it’s important to be realistic about your reasons for appealing and the chances of being successful. It will be helpful for you to understand how the school allocated their places, so you can understand why your child did not get a place. A school’s admission arrangements can be found on the school’s website or local authority’s website.
You should consider accepting any offer of a school place you receive to ensure that your child has a place should your appeal not be successful.
The appeals process
You must give the reasons why your child should have a place at your preferred school in both your notice of appeal form and at the appeal hearing. The stronger your reasons the better the chance you have of your appeal being successful.
Phased admission appeals
All phased appeals, arranged by the Local Authority and submitted to the Legal Services department, will be heard within 40 school days of the published deadlines detailed below.
However, pupils whose appeals are submitted by the published deadline below will be heard first, followed by subsequently submitted forms.
The Local Authority has service level agreements with most North East Lincolnshire secondary schools to arrange and hear their appeals. Appeal Hearings are arranged to be heard during the hours of 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday only. Appeals are not arranged during the month of August, on any bank holidays or during the Christmas/New Year period. Appeal deadlines for other admission authorities may differ.
- National Offer Day – 1 March 2023.
- Deadline for appeals, against admission decisions for on-time applications, to be heard in first round of appeals – 30 March 2023.
- Second Allocation Day for late applications / changes to preferences – 31 March 2023.
- Deadline for appeals, against admission decisions for late/ changes to applications, to be heard in 2nd round of appeals – 2 May 2023.
- Last day for first round of appeals (submitted by 30 March 2023 deadline) to be heard – 19 June 2023.
- Last day for Second allocation appeals, submitted by 2 May 2023 deadline, to be heard – 3 July 2023
In year admission appeals
Appeals against ‘in year’ admission decisions will be heard by the Independent Appeals Panel within 30 schools days of receipt of your appeals form.
Legal Services, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU
Telephone: 01472 324149
Opening times: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, except bank holidays