Skip to main content

Care leavers | Education and training

Young People’s Support Services (YPSS) and The National Careers Service

We are here to help you move into employment, education or training.

Young People’s Support Services and the National Careers Service are both based at the Molsen Centre, Thesiger Street, Grimsby and help people into employment, education or training.

If you are unsure of your next steps or what career you would like to have then there is also a YPSS Careers Advisor who can give you guidance. The National Careers Service provides the same service for anybody over the age of 18.

Both of these services can give you help at the Skills Hub, or if you prefer at another venue where you feel more comfortable. They can help you with things like:

  • career planning, exploring options and making decisions about suitable careers/jobs and the routes to achieve these
  • understanding an individuals skills and abilities and how best to apply them
  • completing a CV
  • preparing for interviews
  • building confidence and self-esteem

Where to go for help

School age education

If you are looked after by North East Lincolnshire Council you have access to a careers service from YPSS. Between years 9 and 11 you should meet the Careers Advisor at your school. This could be through your review meetings or at a one-to-one careers appointment.

If you have not met your careers advisor in school, you don’t attend school or would like to organise your careers appointment outside of school please contact YPSS. A careers interview can be done in a variety of ways, either through one-to-one appointments, over the telephone or through video calling.

After you leave school

If you are over school leaving age we can still help you if you require careers advice. This help would come from the YPSS Careers Advisor that works with the Children Looked After and New Futures team or the National Careers Service if you are over 18. Both are based at the Skills Hub on Freeman Street, Grimsby.

We work with local organisations such as colleges and training providers to help you find the most suitable option. There are lots of different options available such as traineeships, apprenticeships, education, employment or if you don’t feel ready quite yet there are mentoring support schemes available to help you deal with some of the things that might be preventing you from moving on.

Agreements are in place with both local colleges. In these agreements information is set out about how the local authority and college will work together to support you.

If you are aged between 16 and 19 you will be entitled to a bursary from the college. This will help you with transport and food. There is also a discretionary fund which can be used for learning equipment.

The colleges provide careers advice, counselling and mentoring services. Young people in North East Lincolnshire have successfully used these services.

If you are currently looked after by North East Lincolnshire Council, a post 16 Personal Education Plan (PEP) will be done with you every 6 months to to check everybody is giving you the right support and so that any problems can be dealt with.

The process for going to university is a complex one. It requires you and your personal advisor to work closely together to ensure you are properly supported. All colleges and universities have some form of additional support for care leavers.

Whilst deciding which course you will study you and your Personal Advisor must also check the support provided by your chosen university. This must be taken into account in the calculation of financial support for you in your Pathway Plan. Details can be found on the Propel  website.

North East Lincolnshire Council will provide ongoing emotional support and will update pathway plans every six months. The Department for Education requires the Local Authority to supply a bursary of £2,000 per course to support you. How this is paid needs to be decided and put in to your Pathway Plan. The payments for this bursary will need to identify what the money will be used for and how it helps you with your studies.

You can also apply for a student grant. A maintenance grant, which does not need to be repaid, will also help with your study costs. For information about money and your studies go to GOV.UK – Student finance .

North East Lincolnshire Council will not pay fees. A loan to cover the fees can be applied for at GOV.UK – Student finance .

The council offers a wide range of opportunities for volunteering. Volunteering opens up opportunities of learning and new experiences to a host of people who may not usually have had that chance. For others volunteering can simply be a way of giving back to the community or imparting their own skills and experience onto others.

More importantly it is recognised that volunteering will become an integral part of service delivery, community input and cooperative working locally. Harnessing the enthusiasm, passion and willingness of our community will ensure stronger, empowered communities moving forward. It can also add to your CV or help you decide what career path you wish to follow.

To find out more go to our Volunteering opportunities page.

Lincs2  has information on education, training, jobs and skills for all ages in North East Lincolnshire. Our Lincs2 team, along with YPSS and the National Careers Service, is based at the Skills Hub on Freeman Street.

We have information on:

  • local opportunities
  • Job Centre Plus vacancies
  • full-time courses
  • adult learning
  • part-time courses
  • training and higher education

The Lincs2  website also has a CV writer and employability passport which you can work through to help improve your chances of finding a job.

Driving lessons

We will fund driving lessons if you are 17 to 20 years old and in education, training or employment. Initially 10 lessons will be booked with further lessons once you pass your theory test with a maximum of 20 lessons in total.

Lessons will not be booked if you are known to misuse cannabis, drugs or alcohol on a regular basis as safety has to be the first consideration. Any exceptions will need to be evidenced through the pathway plan.

Related content

Pathway Plan

Accommodation options

Health and wellbeing

Managing your money

Getting involved

Contact details

Children in care and new futures team,

New Oxford House, 2 George Street, Grimsby, DN31 1HB

Contact us: Care Leavers support request  

Telephone: 01472 325232