Roadworks information for utility companies
Utility companies and their appointed contractors have a right to install new equipment and repair or maintain their equipment within the adopted highway without written permission from us, the local highway authority.
However, certain types of traffic management do require written permission:
- portable traffic signals
- road closures
- suspension of bus stops
- highways with Section 58 notices
Portable traffic signals
The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 (Part 6. Para 6. Schedule 14) states that anyone using portable traffic signals are required to get written permission from us, the highway authority.
To apply for permission complete our Portable traffic signals form . You must allow 10 working days for permission to be granted.
The use of Stop/Go Boards do not require permission but should be shown in the traffic management section of the street works notice.
To report issues with temporary signals complete Temporary traffic signals report .
The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (Part II, Section 14) requires a legal notice to be in place before the closure takes place.
To apply for a road closure complete the Temporary traffic restriction application . You must allow 6 to 8 weeks for this application to be processed. A fee is chargeable.
Lane closures and footway closures do not require a legal notice but should be noted on the street works notice.
Suspension of bus stops
Permission for suspension of bus stops is granted by Stagecoach our local bus company. For guidance and to make requests please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Restrictions on street works (Section 58 notices)
After substantial works have been completed on a highway we can restrict further works for up to five years by serving a Section 58 notice under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. Section 58 notices prevents new surfaces being excavated and encourages utility companies to carry out their works before or during the planned highways improvements.
Subject to the exemptions of the Act and regulations under it, no street works may be executed for a set period from completion of the works described without the written consent of North East Lincolnshire Council.
To see what improvements are arranged go to our planned works.
Section 58 notices
Details of the current Section 58 notices in North East Lincolnshire:
- A1173 between A180 and Roundabout on A1173 (Word, 15KB) – End date13 January 2025
- A18 Barton Street Junction Improvement works (Word, 14KB) – End date September 2024
- Bargate, Grimsby between Abbey Road and Westward Ho (Word, 14KB) – End date 31 August 2024
- Bargate and Church Lane Signal upgrade (Word, 15KB) – End date August 2025
- Barnoldby Road, Waltham (Word, 14KB) – End date 11 June 2023
- Beechwood Avenue between Washdyke Lane and Spinney Close (Word, 14KB) – End date 15 June 2024
- Butt Lane, Laceby (Word, 14KB) – End date 17 June 2024
- Cambridge Road junction with Westward Ho and Chelmsford Avenue (Word, 26KB) – End date 25 November 2021 (Cambridge Rd Westward Ho Chelmsford site plan (PDF, 280KB) )
- Clee Road Traffic signals scheme (Word, 14KB) – End date 30 September 2023
- Cleethorpe Road between Freeman St and Albion St (Word, 14KB) – End date 27 June 2023
- Cravens Lane, Habrough (Word, 14KB) – End date 30 September 2024
- Crosland Road between Wingate Rd and Stow Close (Word, 14KB) – End date 19 June 2024
- Cross Street, Cleethorpes (Word, 15KB) – End date 19 July 2024
- Estate Road 2 (Word, 15KB) – End date 20 December 2024
- Habrough Road between Brocklesby Ave and Pelham Rd (Word, 14KB) – End date 18 June 2023
- High Street, Cleethorpes (Word, 15KB) – End date 29 July 2024
- High Street, Waltham (Word, 14KB) – End date 11 June 2024
- Hobson Way, Stallingborough (Word, 14KB) – End date 3 March 2026
- Immingham Road between Mathew Ford Way and A180 over bridge (Word, 14KB) – End date 4 June 2023
- Immingham Road, Stallingborough between Mathew Ford Way and Little London Level Crossing (Word, 14KB) – End date 30 June 2024
- Low Road, Great Coates Road, Satllingborough Road, Healing (Word, 14KB) – End date 20 August 2023
- Moody Lane (Word, 15KB) – End date 25 October 2022
- Osborne Street Cleethorpes (Word, 15KB) – End date 26 July 2024
- Pelham Avenue, Grimsby (Word, 14KB) – End date 4 October 2021
- Stallingborough Interchange (Word, 14KB) – End date 31 December 2025
- Station Road, New Waltham between The Orchard and Pretymen Crescent (Word, 14KB) – End date 30 June 2024
- Toll Bar Roundabout (Word, 14KB) – End date 27 July 2023
- Warwick Road Cleethorpes (Word, 14KB) – End date 2 June 2022
- Wellington St between Asda Entrance and Freeman St. (Word, 14KB) – End date 24 June 2024
- Westlands Avenue, Grimsby (Word, 14KB) – End date 31 August 2024
- Wingate Rd between Larmour Rd and Crosland Rd (Word, 14KB) – End date 19 June 2024
- Woad Lane (Word, 15KB) – End date 6 July 2022
- Woad Lane and Moody Lane (Word, 14KB) – End date 30 August 2025
Highways Licences, New Oxford House, 2 George Street, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HB
Telephone: 01472 324528