Roadworks information for utility companies
Utility companies and their appointed contractors have a right to install new equipment and repair or maintain their equipment within the adopted highway without written permission from us, the local highway authority.
However, certain types of traffic management do require written permission:
- portable traffic signals
- road closures
- suspension of bus stops
- highways with Section 58 notices
Portable traffic signals
The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 (Part 6. Para 6. Schedule 14) states that anyone using portable traffic signals are required to get written permission from us, the highway authority.
To apply for permission complete our Portable traffic signals form . You must allow 10 working days for permission to be granted.
The use of Stop/Go Boards do not require permission but should be shown in the traffic management section of the street works notice.
To report issues with temporary signals complete Temporary traffic signals report .
The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (Part II, Section 14) requires a legal notice to be in place before the closure takes place.
To apply for a road closure complete the Temporary traffic restriction application . You must allow 6 to 8 weeks for this application to be processed. A fee is chargeable.
Lane closures and footway closures do not require a legal notice but should be noted on the street works notice.
Suspension of bus stops
Permission for suspension of bus stops is granted by Stagecoach, our local bus company. To get guidance and make requests email email@example.com.
Restrictions on street works (Section 58 notices)
After substantial works have been completed on a highway we can restrict further works for up to five years by serving a Section 58 notice under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991. Section 58 notices prevents new surfaces being excavated and encourages utility companies to carry out their works before or during the planned highways improvements.
Subject to the exemptions of the Act and regulations under it, no street works may be executed for a set period from completion of the works described without the written consent of North East Lincolnshire Council.
To see what improvements are arranged go to our planned works.
Section 58 notices
Details of the current Section 58 notices in North East Lincolnshire:
- A1173 between A180 and Roundabout on A1173 (Word, 15KB) – 13 January 2025
- Bargate, Grimsby between Abbey Road and Westward Ho (Word, 14KB) – Ends 31 August 2024
- Bargate and Church Lane Signal upgrade (Word, 14KB) – Ends 1 April 2023
- Barnoldby Road, Waltham (Word, 14KB) – Ends 11 June 2023
- Cartergate, Queens Parade, 10ft Cartergate Link, Grimsby (Word, 14KB) – Ends 25 November 2021
- Chantry Lane, Cartergate Underpass, Grimsby (Word, 14KB) – Ends 25 November 2021
- Clee Road Traffic signals scheme (Word, 14KB) – Ends 30 September 2023
- Cravens Lane, Habrough (Word, 14KB) – Ends 30 September 2024
- Cross Street, Cleethorpes (Word, 15KB) – Ends 19 July 2024
- Estate Road 2 (Word, 15KB) – Ends 20 December 2024
- George Street, Grimsby (Word, 14KB) – Ends 31 October 2021
- High Street, Cleethorpes (Word, 15KB) – Ends 29 July 2024
- High Street, Waltham (Word, 14KB) – Ends 11 June 2024
- Hobson Way, Stallingborough (Word, 14KB) – Ends 3 March 2026
- Low Road, Great Coates Road, Satllingborough Road, Healing (Word, 14KB) – Ends 20 August 2023
- Larmour Road, Great Coates Road and Wingate Road (Word, 14KB) – Ends 5 September 2021
- Moody Lane (Word, 15KB) – Ends 25 October 2022
- Osborne Street Cleethorpes (Word, 15KB) – Ends 26 July 2024
- Pelham Avenue, Grimsby (Word, 14KB) – Ends 4 October 2021
- Stallingborough Interchange (Word, 14KB) – Ends 31 December 2025
- Toll Bar Roundabout (Word, 14KB) – Ends 27 July 2023
- Warwick Road Cleethorpes (Word, 14KB) – Ends 2 June 2022
- Westlands Avenue, Grimsby (Word, 14KB) – Ends 31 August 2024
- Wingate Road, Crosland Road and Cromwell Road (Word, 14KB) – Ends 25 July 2021
- Woad Lane (Word, 15KB) – Ends 6 July 2022
- Woad Lane and Moody Lane (Word, 14KB) – Ends 30 August 2025
Highways Licences, New Oxford House, 2 George Street, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HB
Telephone: 01472 324528