Skip to main content

You need ID to vote in person in the General Election on the 4th of July

12:25 pm, Monday, 3rd June 2024 - 1 month ago


Residents in North East Lincolnshire will need to show photographic ID to vote in person at this year’s general election, a statutory requirement that was introduced in 2023.

Anyone voting at a polling station in England will need to show original photo ID before they can be given their ballot paper. It’s important that everyone understands what types of ID they can use, and how to apply for free ID if they need it.

Accepted forms of ID include a UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Commonwealth passport or other government issued documents, like biometric immigration document or national identity cards; a UK or EEA drivers’ licence or Blue Badge; a PASS identity card; and some concessionary travel passes, such as an older person’s bus pass. Voters will be able to use expired ID from the list if they are still recognisable from the photo.

The full list of accepted ID is available on the Electoral Commission’s website, along with more information about the requirement and details of how to apply for the free ID.

Anyone who does not have one of the accepted forms of ID will be able to apply for free ID online at Apply for a voter authority certificate – or by completing a paper form. The deadline for applications for a Voter Authority Certificate is 5pm on 26 June 2024.

Residents who do not have one of the accepted forms of ID can apply for free ID either online or by completing a paper application form and sending this to North East Lincolnshire Council’s electoral services team. If you need any help with applying for the free ID or want to request an application form, contact the electoral services team on 01472 324160 or by emailing [email protected]

The requirement to show photo ID at the polling station is a legal requirement, introduced by the UK Government’s Elections Act 2022 and came into effect for the first time May 2023. 

If you haven’t voted for some time, you can find information about the requirement to show ID and what to expect at the polling station on the Electoral Commission’s website.

Voter ID Q&A

Why do I need ID? If you want to vote in person in UK elections and referendums, you need photo ID. The Elections Act 2022 introduced the requirement to show photo ID at UK Parliamentary elections, police and crime commissioner elections and at local elections in England.

Who needs a VAC?  If you do not have physical photo ID you need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate (VAC).  The list is available at Voter ID | Electoral Commission

How do I apply? Apply online Apply for photo ID to vote (called a ‘Voter Authority Certificate’) – GOV.UK (  (if you do not have access, ask friends and family if they can help) or you can collect a paper copy from the Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU and return it with a photograph. The office is open on weekdays between 8.45am and 4pm.

I have a driving licence for my old address can I use this for ID? Yes, as long as the photo is a likeness to you now.

My passport is out of date? You can still use it, as long as the photo is a likeness to you now.

Do I need ID for postal votes? No, it is only if you vote in person.

Do I need it for a proxy vote? Your proxy will need ID when visiting the polling station.

I do not want to provide my ID, what do I do? You will not be able to vote in person at the elections. However, you can apply for a Postal Vote.

How long does it take for the VAC to arrive? As yet there is no confirmation, however it may be stated on your confirmation email.

How long does the VAC last? Voter Authority Certificates do not have an expiration date. But it’s recommended that you renew your certificate after 10 years.

What do I do if I have moved home? You have to apply for a new VAC.

Can I use it as ID for other reasons? No, this is only to allow you to vote.

Helpline: 0800 328 0280 for all enquires and for large print, braille or easy read documentation.

Next Article
Make sure you’re registered to vote in the upcoming General Election
On Thursday 4 July, residents in North East Lincolnshire will be voting to select Members of Parliament for: If you’re not on the Electoral Register, you will not be able...
Previous Article
Have your say on 4 July – two important deadlines next week
On Thursday 4 July, residents will vote in the General Election for Members of Parliament for the constituencies of Great Grimsby & Cleethorpes and Brigg & Immingham. The Great Grimsby...

Share this article