Skip to main content

Change your electoral registration details

Update your name or nationality

If you have recently changed name or nationality then you need to update your electoral information.

What you might need:

  • National Insurance number
  • Date of birth
  • your passport if you now live abroad and still want to vote
  • evidence of your name or nationality change

Update your address

If you have recently changed address then you need to update your electoral information. If you vote by post it’s important that you complete a new postal vote application form  with your new information as your postal vote doesn’t move with you.

Opt out of the open register

There are 2 registers – the electoral register and the open register.

The electoral register has everyone’s name and address and legally anyone over the age of 16 must be on it. The register is only used for the elections, checking applications for credit or loans and preventing crime.

The open register is available for anyone to view at their local elections office and the information can be sold for marketing purposes. If you do not wish for your details to be available you can opt out of the open register, it does not affect your right to vote or apply for credit.

Related content

Find my polling station

Ways to vote

Electoral registration questions

Notice of Intention to Re-Publish Register – January 2020

Publication of Revised Register – November 2019

Privacy notice

Data protection

Contact details

Elections, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU

Elections team contact form

Telephone: 01472 324160