Skip to main content

Electoral registration questions

Q: I have more than one home, where do I register?

If you have more than one home then you need to register at the address where you spend the majority of your time.

Q: I am a student

If you’re a student you can register your details at your home address and term time address as long as they aren’t in the same locality. Otherwise you can vote in both local elections but only once in a UK general election or referendum.

Q: I am away on election, can I still vote?

If you’re going to be away on election day you can apply to vote by post and you will receive your postal vote 7 days before the election.

Apply to vote by post

Q: I am a UK citizen but live abroad

If you have moved abroad you can register as an overseas postal voter. To do this, you must have been registered to vote in the UK for the last 15 years. If you were too young when you moved abroad you can still register, as long as your parent or guardian was registered to vote and did not leave the UK more than 15 years ago.

Register overseas

Q: If I move house, will my electoral registration move with me?

No, you must fill in a new registration form online with your new details.

Change your address

Q: I pay council tax, am I automatically added to the electoral register?

No, legally you must register yourself and anyone in the household over the age of 16 in the details separately.

Register your details

Q: Someone on the electoral register has died, do I need to tell you of their passing?

The registrars send the Electoral team a weekly list of registered deaths, if the person wasn’t a resident of North East Lincolnshire then you must tell the elections office at the local council for their area.

Still haven’t found the answer to your question?

You can contact the Elections Team 01472 324160 or fill in the online Elections team contact  form.

Contact details

Elections, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU

Elections team contact form

Telephone: 01472 324160