Skip to main content

Get on the electoral register


Register your details

You can check if you’re already registered but if you know your details aren’t on the electoral register, you must fill in an online registration form for your current address.

Being on the register will allow you to:

  • vote in UK elections or referendums
  • proof of registration
  • apply for credit
    • mortgage
    • loans
    • phone contract
    • catalogue account
  • open a bank account

There is a special electoral registration if you have no fixed address or might be posted overseas, a Crown servant  or are in the armed forces.

Check if you are already registered

The quickest way to check if you’re on the register is to ring the Elections office 01472 324160 or fill in the online registration check form .

The full register is available to view at:

  • Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU
  • Grimsby library, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1GH
  • Cleethorpes library, Alexandra Road, Cleethorpes, DN35 8LG

Register your details

Legally you must register if you’re aged 16 and over, a UK citizen living in the UK or overseas, a qualifying commonwealth or EU citizen resident in the UK. You can appear on the electoral register from being 16 but can’t vote until you are 18.

What you need:

  • National Insurance number
  • registering address
  • date of birth
  • your passport if you live abroad and still want to vote

What happens next

Your details will be compared to the information held by the Department of Work and Pensions which can take up to 6 weeks, once verified your details will be added to the register which is updated monthly and your information will available to the credit reference agencies.

If you have a question about your credit rating/score, you must contact the credit agencies directly.