Skip to main content

Care leavers | Children and young people seeking asylum

If you are an unaccompanied child or young person seeking asylum you have a right to:

  • feel safe, supported and be treated with dignity in the UK
  • have access to an interpreter
  • access education and positive activities
  • have relevant information about your asylum claim

In North East Lincolnshire we have a worker dedicated to working with children and young people seeking asylum.

For more information go to GOV.UK – Safeguarding unaccompanied asylum seeking and refugee children .

Seeking asylum

Once you are ready to leave the Border Force Office, someone, usually a Social Worker would take you to a suitable place to stay. This may be with a family, or may be your own room sharing with other young people and support workers. Your support worker will help you to shop for and prepare food, find your way in the new area and use the facilities in the house.

You will also be supported with any health needs you have.

If you do not have one already, you will also be supported to meet with a solicitor and the Refugee Council support team who can help you with your asylum claim.  Your legal fees will be covered by legal aid for your initial claim and appeals so you do not have to pay anything for these appointments.

You may have to undergo an Age Assessment if you cannot provide documents which confirm your date of birth, or there are some questions about your age. How long this will take will depend on your case.  We need to do this to ensure we can give you the best support for now and the future.

We will make sure you have an interpreter who can speak your language and translate all of the questions and answers.

If it is decided that you are under 18, you will remain supported a Social Worker. If it is decided that you are an adult, you will be referred to National Asylum Support Service  and you will need to move. If you are unhappy with this decision, you have a right to appeal and your solicitor can help you with this.

You will be supported to attend your screening interview with the Home Office, your substantive interview and any other meetings. You will have an interpreter to support you too.

You can also provide any documents to support your claim. You can speak to your solicitor about what kind of evidence could support your claim.

If you need additional support after this meeting you should ask your social worker who can arrange for you to speak to someone.

If you are granted asylum you will receive 5 years Leave to Remain refugee status.

If you are not granted asylum you have the right to appeal against the decision. Your social worker or leaving care advisor will support you through this process.

You are entitled to study at college and your social worker and personal advisor will encourage you to do so.

If you are not granted asylum after the initial interview it is your right to appeal that decision. Your solicitor and social worker or personal advisor can help you with this. 

If you have been through the appeal process and the Home Office still makes a decision that you will not be granted Leave to Remain in the UK, then you will be told you need to return to your home country.

In this situation a decision will be made about how we can best support you during this time.

Related content

Pathway Plan

Accommodation options

Education, training and jobs

Health and wellbeing

Managing your money

Getting involved

Contact details

Children in care and new futures team,

New Oxford House, 2 George Street, Grimsby, DN31 1HB

Contact us: Care Leavers support request  

Telephone: 01472 325232