Skip to main content

Care leavers | Becoming a parent

Signs and symptoms of pregnancy

If you want information on the signs and symptoms of pregnancy go to the NHS  website. Find out how to check if you are pregnant on NHS.UK – Am I pregnant?

Making decisions

Making the decision whether to have a baby can be a difficult one. If a you think that you may be pregnant then you can talk to your personal advisor to get the support and advice you need.

There are other people who will be able to support too. The Health Team can offer support and advice on 03033 305383.

The midwifery service can also discuss your pregnancy and offer an appointment to see a midwife. You can call the midwives on 03033 305232.

If you prefer you can make an appointment with your GP who will also be able to offer support and advice.

Being a parent

Being a parent is a big step for any young person, but it is particularly so for a care leaver becoming independent at the same time. Other care leavers spoke of their fear of their children being taken from them because they were in care. This is not always the case.

However, it is true that the better you can look after yourself, the better you will be able to care for your baby. If you are still struggling in some cases we may be able to offer you support to work with other agencies.

Becoming a parent

Care leavers who are to become parents will have a special responsibility. They will need to ensure their baby receives good enough parenting when that might not have been the case for them. They will also have to show a stable home life and independence skills in order to be in the best place for the baby.

We have a responsibility to consider if a young person will need additional support for the baby and consider if there is a degree of risk that would merit a referral through the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH).

Such a consideration of risk will be recorded in the care leavers file. An automatic assumption that a care leaver cannot be a good parent is not acceptable. We will continue to provide support to care leavers emotionally if a child has to be referred through to MASH.

Safe families

Safe families give support to parents or carers who have needs which impact on their parenting capacity, for example those who are affected by:

  • learning disabilities
  • mental health needs
  • substance misuse issues

As well as supporting:

  • first time mums who have increased vulnerabilities
  • care experienced young people moving into their own accommodation

For more information go to the Safe families  website or watch some Safe families videos .

Extra support

If you are unable to access the maternity grant, we will help to support you to the equivalent of this. As with all parents you can register through your local Family Hub and your leaving care worker will support you.

Related content

Pathway Plan

Accommodation options

Education, training and jobs

Health and wellbeing

Managing your money

Getting involved

Contact details

Children in care and new futures team,

New Oxford House, 2 George Street, Grimsby, DN31 1HB

Contact us: Care Leavers support request  

Telephone: 01472 325232