Skip to main content

Being evicted

Evicted by a landlord or letting agent

Your landlord must give you notice, the type and length of the notice can vary depending on the tenancy you have. 

Do not leave your home until you’re sure the notice served is legal.

Illegal action includes:

  • changing the locks while you’re out to prevent you getting back into the property
  • harassment or threatening to physically evict you
  • physically evicting you from the property

Types of notices and evictions

Section 21 notices give you a minimum of 2 months to leave the property, the landlord doesn’t need a reason to evict you.

Section 8 notices are served by landlords if you have broken the terms of your tenancy agreement or have not paid rent.

Retaliation evictions usually happen when a landlord decides to evict a tenant due to complaints made to the council for repairs which haven’t been done.

You can also fill in our service referral and we can work with you and your landlord to prevent you from becoming homeless.

Read Dave and Sarah’s story after they were given a Section 21 notice and had to leave their family home.

Evicted from a hostel

If you’ve been evicted from a hostel due to your behaviour or being in rent arrears, it will be hard to find another room in supported housing. You must follow the rules and if you have any problems in the supported accommodation please speak to your support worker as they want to help you to prepare for independent living.

However, if this is not possible, please speak to your support worker to complete a new Gateway referral and the service referral form to the Homelessness Prevention Service if they have to evict you.

Related websites

Home Choice Lincs

Shelter  and GOV.UK  have more information and advice for notices and private renting.

Related content

I need to move home – includes if you are asked to leave by friends or family

I am homeless – includes sofa surfing

StreetLink logo

Let us know if someone is sleeping rough with StreetLink

If you see someone sleeping rough, send an alert to the rough sleep coordinator and local outreach teams so they can give them the support they need.

You can do this on the StreetLink website, or download the app on your mobile.