Skip to main content

Alcohol and premises licensing

A personal licence holder’s responsibility is to authorise the sale and supply of alcohol and to make sure the licensed premises you’re employed at are operating within the law.

You don’t need a personal licence to be employed at a pub or a business that sells alcohol, but the designated premises supervisor has to authorise anyone who doesn’t have a personal licence to sell alcohol. Anyone can apply for the licence but you must be aged 18 or over and have a personal licence qualification.

View accredited personal licence qualification providers at GOV.UK.

Before you start

  • fill in a disclosure of convictions form (Word, 61KB)
  • copy of your personal licence qualification or equivalent qualification certificate
  • two passport photos (one must be signed by a professional to verify who you are)
  • copy of your Disclosure and Barring Service certificate or the results held from a subject access search by the police national computer


Personal licence applicationCost
Replacement (lost, stolen or damaged)£10.50

Consent to be a DPS

Every licensed premises must have a designated premises supervisor (DPS) who holds a personal licence. If you have more than one licensed premises you can have the same designated supervisor for each one.

The designated premises supervisor needs to understand and be involved in the everyday running of the business. They don’t always need to be at the premises but they must be available as the main contact for the police and the council.

To be a designated premises supervisor you must first be asked by the premises licence holder. Then you can fill in the consent form to be named on the premises licence as the designated premises supervisor.

Change your DPS

To update your premises licence with a different named designated premises supervisor you must:

  1. Appoint someone with a personal licence
  2. Ask them to fill in the consent form to be named as the new DPS on your premises licence
  3. Fill in a variation of a designated premises supervisor form


Application typeCost
New premises licenceIncluded in the cost of your new premises licence application.
Variation or transfer of a designated premises supervisor£23
Change of details not requiring a Vary DPS or Transfer£10.50
Removal of a designated premises supervisor£0

If you’re a business or organisation who want to sell alcohol and provide entertainment, there are a few steps you must take before having a premises licence granted.

  1. you or someone you’re employing must have a personal licence to sell alcohol
  2. have a designated premises supervisor who holds a personal licence
  3. fill in an premises licence application and send a copy to all the responsible authorities who act on behalf of the public
  4. pay licence fee
  5. receive no objections within 28 days of submitting your application

A working men’s club or a members sports club requires a club premises licence.

If you’re having an event which will sell alcohol, late night refreshments or put on entertainment then you’ll need to fill in a temporary events notice.


Once you’ve submitted the application it must be displayed at the premises, in a local newspaper and on the council’s website within 10 working days. If your application receives no objections within 28 days a licence will be granted.

In the event of receiving objections a hearing will take place within 20 working days. A licence can still be granted or granted with conditions at a hearing but it may lead to being refused.

You have the right to appeal to a Magistrates court within 21 days of the decision being made.

Licensable activities

  • live or recorded music
  • facilities for making music
  • indoor sport event
  • boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • dance or dance facilities
  • showing a film or theatrical performance
  • gambling machine games

North East Lincolnshire Council is encouraging businesses to work together to help reduce crime, violence and substance misuse which have been influenced by alcohol.

Applications for a new premises licence, variation to a premises licence, provisional statement and a review of a premises licence are available for the public to view.

You can submit an objection within 28 days as a resident or a business if you believe an application will:

  • cause a nuisance
  • affect public safety
  • increase crime and disorder
  • prevent the protection of children

Current applications

View more applications

If a pub, bar, restaurant or café would like to have seating for customers outside of their property and on a public highway then they must have a licence to do so.

A public highway includes roads, pavements and verges.

Why a licence is needed

A licence is required to make sure that enough space is available for the safe and free movement of all people using the highway. It also considers any possible noise disturbance for nearby residents and business owners.

Updated pavement licence guidance

On 20 July 2021, revised guidance was published by the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government on Pavement Licenses (outdoor seating). This guidance forms part of the Business and Planning Act 2020 (amended 2021). This revised guidance can be found on GOV.UK – Pavement licences (outdoor seating)

If you are applying for a license, please ensure you have read the revised guidance before submitting your application.

Cost of a pavement licence

A new license will cost £100. All applications will be classed as new licenses under the amended guidance. There will be no renewals of previously issued licenses.

Payment of the fees will need to be made once the application has been reviewed and approved.

How to apply

It should be noted that under the new guidance all premises must apply for a new license if they wish to keep using their outside areas after 30 September 2021.

To apply for or renew a pavement licence complete the Application form to place furniture in the highway (Word, 19KB)  and return it by email to [email protected].

Please include ‘Pavement licence’ and the name of your business in the subject of the email.

Provide as much information with your application as possible including:

  • photo evidence of consultation notice on-premises (must be visible to the public at all times)
  • a plan and photos of the exterior of your premises that clearly show the area you are requesting a licence for
  • photos showing any street furniture (lamp posts, railings, benches, BT cabinets etc) that are within close proximity to your premises.
  • details of the type of amenities (tables, chairs, barriers etc) you intend to use
  • a copy of your current public liability insurance certificate with a minimum value of £5million
  • any other maps, plans or photographs which may assist us in determining your application

To assist us in deciding on your application as quickly as possible provide all the information listed on the application form. Failure to do so may delay a decision on your application.

If you need information on road closures go to Traffic regulation orders. If you are planning an event and need a temporary events licence read Organising an event.

Application decisions

Pavement licences are considered on a case-by-case basis and will be determined based on four criteria:

  • Clear routes of access – it is a condition that clear routes of access along the highway must be maintained, taking into account the needs of disabled people, and the recommended minimum footway widths and distances required for access by mobility-impaired and visually impaired people.
  • Public health and safety – for example, ensuring that users conform with the latest guidance on social distancing and any reasonable crowd management measures needed as a result of a licence being granted and businesses reopening.
  • Public amenity – will the proposed use create a nuisance to neighbouring occupiers by generating anti-social behaviour and litter; and
  • Accessibility – taking a proportionate approach to consider the nature of the site concerning which the application for a licence is made, its surroundings and its users, taking account of:
    • any other temporary measures in place that may be relevant to the proposal, for example, the reallocation of road space. This could include pedestrianised streets and any subsequent reallocation of this space to vehicles.
    • whether there are other permanent street furniture or structures in place on the footway that already reduce access.
    • the recommended minimum footway widths and distances required for access by mobility-impaired and visually impaired people.
    • other users of the space, for example if there are high levels of pedestrian or cycle movements.

Guidance notes

  • A licence is only required if you are seeking to place tables and chairs on the public highway. A licence is not required if tables and chairs are to be located in a private area that is part of the pub or café (for example a beer garden)
  • Tables and chairs licences are valid for 12 months or until September 2022 (whichever is sooner).
  • Fees are non-refundable
  • All furniture in the area covered by the licence MUST be removed from the pavement and stored within the premises when not in use
  • Fees are only payable for successful applications and will be payable on determination of your application
  • You will need to provide a copy of your current public liability insurance certificate with a minimum value of £5million
  • Unless otherwise stated, licences are granted for the period between 9am to 9pm in Cleethorpes town centre and 9am to 8pm in Grimsby town centre.
  • For more information please email us at [email protected].

It should be noted that the 2021 amendments provide additional information on provision of non-smoking and smoking outdoor provision along with added enforcement guidance.  Should premises not be adhering to the license conditions then the license may be revoked by the Local Authority.

Applications currently under consideration

Coliseum Picture Theatre (PDF, 767KB)

Related content

Make a complaint about licensed alcohol premises

Copy of a premises licence certificate request

Organising an event

Related websites

GOV.UK Guidance on mandatory licensing conditions – irresponsible promotions, potable water, age verification and small measures

GOV.UK Remove yourself as a DPS

GOV.UK Banning the sale of alcohol below the cost of duty plus VAT

GOV.UK Provisional statement

GOV.UK Interim Authority notice

GOV.UK Transfer premises licence

Contact details

Licensing, Doughty road depot, Doughty road, North East Lincolnshire, DN32 0LL

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 01472 326299 option 2

Opening times: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5pm, except bank holidays