Fraud and corruption
Fraud and corruption
As with other large organisations, the size and nature of the council’s services puts it at risk to loss due to fraud and corruption both from within the council and outside it.
We are committed to making sure that the opportunity for fraud and corruption is reduced to the lowest possible risk. Where there is the possibility of fraud, corruption and other related problems, we will deal with it in a firm, consistent and controlled manner.
Council Tax single residency discount review
We are reviewing all households within the North East Lincolnshire area that receive a single person discount on their Council Tax bill. We do this by comparing our records to those held by a Credit Reference Agency. We call this data-matching.
More information can be found on the Single person council tax discount review page.
If you think there has been fraud on your card or bank account – or if you suspect anyone has attempted to compromise your financial details – report it immediately to your bank or financial services provider and then contact Action Fraud .
If you would like to let us know about a person who you believe is committing fraud against the Council then complete our Fraud report .
All reports are treated in confidence and can be made without providing any personal details. You can also report a fraud by phone on our 24 hour fraud hotline – 01472 326298, option 1.
Types of fraud
- Benefit fraud – If you want to report benefit fraud go to GOV.UK – Report benefit fraud . If you are unsure whether the fraud effects Council Tax or benefits please complete our fraud report . We work closely with the Department for Work and Pensions and we will disclose the information you provide to them when Social Security benefits are involved.
- Council Tax Support fraud – If you believe someone is claiming help to pay their Council Tax that they should not be, for example, because they have a partner who has moved in with them or they have started work.
- Council Tax Discount Fraud – If you believe someone is receiving a discount on the amount of Council Tax they have to pay that they should not be receiving, for example, a person receiving a single adult residency discount when they have other adults living in their home or a student discount when they are no longer a student.
- Blue badge fraud – If you believe that someone is misusing a disabled persons blue badge. This could include someone other than the badge holder using the badge for their own benefit. Report it on Blue Badge misuse.
- Insurance fraud – If you believe that someone has made a false insurance claim against the Council.
- Employee and Councillor Fraud – If you suspect that an employee or Councillor is involved in any fraudulent or corrupt act, this should be reported in line with our Whistleblowing Policy
- Benefit fraud – If you believe that someone is committing Housing Benefit fraud, please report this to GOV.UK Report benefit fraud . Helpline 0800 854 4400 (textphone 0800 320 0512). Post: NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston, PR1 1GP.
- Scams and consumer fraud – Rogue traders, mail fraud, door-to-door salesperson, telephone cold caller, email or online fraud
- Food fraud – Fraud relating to food such as labelling, allergens etc